PDA

View Full Version : TC Dimension Rifle

konrad
09-01-2012, 06:11 AM
I have been planning on acquiring a bolt action rifle in 7mm Rem Mag for some time. Now I see Thompson Center is offering the Dimension interchangeable platform rifle system for incredibly reasonable pricing along with their lifetime warranty and MOA accuracy straight out of the box.

At $550 (yes, cheaper than most American made compound bows…go figure) spending $$$ on good glass sounds like a real deal. Of course, some would say there would not be the satisfaction of nursing another rifle into true shutzen form but who am I to argue with progress?

Do any of you have direct, hands-on experience with these firearms?
If so, do they actually live up to the advertised MOA accuracy?
I’m betting this platform can be coaxed into yielding even more than advertised.

runfiverun
09-01-2012, 09:47 PM
i haven't sen one just yet, but would like one in 22-250 and 280 rem.
a simple magazine and bbl change would certainly make life easy.
a nice case for both bbl's and magazines and it would surely make a nice one gun outfit for the lower 48.
add a 35 whelen bbl and you could sure cover a whole lot of territory.

konrad
09-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Absolutely, I was thinking along the lines of:
223 Remington (varmint)
7-08 Remington (deer)
7mm Remington Magnum (long range deer, elk, moose, sheep or goats)
375 Holland and Holland (everything else except charging elephants)

The 375 has yet to be offered in the Dimension platform. I already have the 7-08 and a couple of 375’s but having one platform for every game just sounds nice somehow.

Paul B
09-02-2012, 04:54 PM
"add a 35 whelen bbl and you could sure cover a whole lot of territory.

That would be an excellent choice. I heartily approve. :) Dunno much about that rifle but I've had a couple of T/C's muzzleloaders, a Hawken .50 and the Renegade .54, and still have the Renegade. I also have their Contender super 14" in 30-30. All have been exellent guns and totally trouble free. I see no reason why that rifle would be just fine as well.
I can see easy barrel chage with a matching bolt head for rounds based on say the 30-06 case heas which would easily run from 22-250 up to at least a .35 Whelean but going from that size to a magnum case would either have to have interchangable bolt heads or more that one bolt. Adding the WSM cartidges would add a third bolt head or bolt. Not avinf seen the rifle yet or held one, I do have to wonder if the action is long enough for rounds like the .375 H&H. You could go .375 Ruger which is 06 length ot go wildcat with the .375 Taylor, AKA .375 Chatfield-Taylor or simply the .338 Win. mag. necked up to take .375 caliber bullets. I have a Ruger M77 tang sfety rifle that as rebarreled to the Taylor and it will do anything the .375 H&H will do in a 30-06 length action and the H&H velocities are easily duplicated. You can make brass from 7MM Rem. Mag., .338 Win. Mag. but I have found the simplest way to make brass is ue .458 Win. mag. brass and one pass though the sizing die has the brass ready to go. I do give the brass a very slight trim prior to loading to insure the necks are square but that's all it takes. Just load up at full power and go shoot. The fireforming doesn't affect velocity or accuracy all that much and is negligable. velocity matches the H&H and the extreme spread in my rifle was 5 FPS for one load and 6 FPS in the other. That's with the 270 gr. Hornady and 300 gr. Sierra Game King. Accuracy runs close to one inch and the worst group I got waas 1.5". Considering the size game one would normally shoot with that type cartridge and the ranges invoved, that's more than good enough.
I only mentioned this as an option if the rifle's action turns out to be too short for the H&H.
Paul B.

konrad
09-02-2012, 05:09 PM
I am sure you are probably right about the receiver length being too short for the H&H cartridge. However, you made excellent points regarding other chamberings using the .375 diameter projectile.

Where there is a barrel, there is a way.
TC offers four bolts for different shell faces that work in the action.

runfiverun
09-02-2012, 08:05 PM
i'd imagine they make the reciever for the largest caliber they plan on offering it in.
then swap bolt faces and use magazine blocks.
my armalite ar-30 is offered in 338 lapua,300 win mag,and 308 winchester.
and that's how they do it.
mag block, different bbl,bolt swap.

konrad
09-02-2012, 09:31 PM
10-4, exacly how they are doing it.