PDA

View Full Version : 22k hornet

daniel lawecki
06-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Anybody shoot this cal? I been shooting tis out of my contender for 4yrs now.With my reloads this ggun off a reat will shoot one hole groups at 50yrds all day long. At 100yrds this gun will shoot under 3/4 inch.[smilie=w:

Paul B
06-10-2012, 04:04 PM
I shoot the regular .22 Hornet from a Ruger #1B. It's almost like shooting a .22 long Rifle from that fairly heavy rifle. So far, all I've shot in it has been Winchester factory ammo. It will stay within .75" at 100 yards from the bench on a good day. A good day BTW is when the wind isn't blowing 15 gusting to 30 MPH or higher. I have several Ruger #1 rifles in various configurations that are decently accurate. I'd shoot it more but ammo ain't cheap and I'm trying to build up a supply of brass.
I only have one single shot pistol at the moment. A T/C Contender in 30-30 Win. I haven't shot it lately due to arthritis at the base of my right thumb.
I would convert that #1 to K-Hornet but that model has a bit of collector value so I'm going to leave it as is.
Paul B.

daniel lawecki
06-10-2012, 09:08 PM
I reload and use h110 & lil gun with hornady 40gr v max bullets. i HAVE A BUNCH OF LOAD DATA.

okie44
06-22-2012, 02:02 AM
I just got a 10" contender, have not loaded for it yet. I have been thinking about reaming to Khornet. I have a good assortment of jacketed bullets on hand, 2400, 296, Little Gun and power pro 300mp. Will try pistol and rifle primers, see what happens.

daniel lawecki
06-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Hi okie44 I use small pistol primers my groups are smaller. MY 22K at 50yds will shoot 3/8 groups all day long off pistol rest. 100yd groups are at 3/4. I didnt have any brass lost when fire forming. My brass have at least 10 reloads now My barrel is 14 inch you will fall in love with this little hot rod Dan lawecki here

RussB
07-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Not really a single shot, but back in the 1960's I had a"S&W K-22 Masterpiece in .224 Harvey K-Chuck", if I remember correctly.
This was a very accurate revolver, and I could typically take squirrels with that pistol at some really amazing distances, using a tree or limb rest and doing my part.
However, anything less than a head or high shoulder shot sometimes got messy.

I once took a sitting fox at a distance of 120 "paces"....long paces in fact, and it was a neck shot that broke his spine. I was aiming right at his head / face with a full bead, and it hit just below his lower jaw. A quick reflex jump and he pilled up almost exactly where he had been sitting.

At that time in my life I had a rifle in .22 Hornet, which was a single shot, and that pistol. I can honestly say, I can't recall any more pleseant shooting than what I got from that pair of guns.
Wish I could go back to those days.

Russ

Paul B
07-08-2012, 02:54 PM
"Wish I could go back to those days."

Not to hijack the thread but me too. Before I left Nevada in 1979, I was bale to literally go out an shoot something every day or night depending on what shift I was working. I miss being able to do that down here.

To get back on track though, there have been a few times when I thought about rechambering my Ruger #1B Hornet to the K-hornet but that particular rifle has some collector value as Ruger didn't make a whole bunch of them in the Hornet.
Paul B.

Capn Jack
11-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Built one on a "Small Martini" receiver,with a .22 target barrel, Rear stock from an Enfield Kit, custom forearm and topped it with a Weaver V-22 2x6.

Digger squirrels and crows quaked at the sound of my name...:twisted:

Needed money and sold it to a guy at work...:cry:

fryboy
11-01-2012, 10:17 PM
my newest contender barrel is a 18" custom shop K hornet , still putting the kit together to load for it ,the BBT should be here any day now and i can begin in earnest :D i've read about the hornets and K hornets for years yet the right deal never crossed me until a couple weeks back , oddly enough i had been going to bigger and bigger calibers and booms before this deal came up , the guy i got it from was sorta sad to see it go and said it was a shooter , i've got a few cast for it as well as a variety of jacketed bullets ..and wouldnt ya know it , when i finally got one everywhere online has no brass [doh]

daniel lawecki
11-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Check Cabela,s on line for Hornet brass. Fire form with 9grs of H110 you,ll not lose any brass with this load. I,ve formed 500 brass this way with 0 lost. R&P brass Have fun Dan

versifier
11-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Fryboy, I'm with you. I have had a Contender almost since they were introduced, but I have never owned a Hornet barrel of either variety for it. I loaded for one bolt action hornet years ago but it was not mine and was traded/sold by its owner while I was still in load development with it. I did like it and was starting to really like it when it left. One of these days the right barrel will find me, too, preferably somewhere around 24", but if a shorter Custom shop barrel comes along first I'll snap it right up and I have a mould for it when it does. I already have one custom shop barrel that I love, a 16" .35rem. I wanted a 24" one and had been looking around but a friend called and told me to buy this one. I'm glad I did as it is MOA with its favorite bullets and as a Carbine with peep sights it is a joy to carry and hunt with. A matching KHornet carbine would be fun for small game and pests.

fryboy
11-03-2012, 02:41 PM
cabela's is currently out but thanx dan ! i admit i looked about everywhere lolz and i actually bought the first factory ammo i've bought in umm heap o long time just for this barrel ( it feels weird because i've rolled my own for ... ever it seems
the BBT showed up yesterday with my shell holder and some other assorted goodies , it was kind of late when i had time to sit down at the bench , the replacement tapered decapping/expanding stem i bought for the lee dies fits great in their standard multi caliber decapping die ( i use this system to neck up a few calibers ) but it's a wee bit too long as the 6 mm part is way up the shank and barely hits the case mouth , i may either grind the pin and stem down enough to get it where i want/need it or try a 6 mm PPC/WSSM replacement , becaus ethe stem is a much better expander than the old lee dies i'll prolly put it in my 243 dies and go for the PPC one , i did however screw down an old pacific 243 sizer and tried necking up a few cases , the 7 new ones went flawlessly ( hopefully soon i'll be able to get some more ) the 1 x cases i've come across i only did 5 because 2 split the neck , i'll anneal the rest before trying again , the ones that successfully necked up ( both old and new ) i used one to set the FL die to headspace ( looks cool as a 6 mm tho lolz ) and necked back down to .22 , this should give me a slight shoulder for my fire forming loads and hopefully stop case stretching before it happens ( yeah i'm stoked :P and except for brass tried getting most my ducks in a row )
i have a question about your fire forming load charge dan , the 9 grains is easy enough to do but pray tell what bullet weight ? from the data i've gleaned so far i have to assume a lighter projectile , most of those have starting charges above the 9 grains and hornady list 9.1 max ( for the K ) with 50 grainers , oddly enough data for the regular hornet goes from 9.7max to 8.5 max with the 45 and 50 grainers respectively , i had thought of using some 55 fmj's for this duty as i have umm quite a few in stock ( and saving the lighter soft and h.p.'s for load work ups and fun once fireformed )

daniel lawecki
11-04-2012, 06:11 PM
I use the Hornady V-Max 40 Gr bullets in my 14" barrel TC this bullet will group at 3/8" at 50yrds. My best group at 100yrds is 3/4" in the winter.

fryboy
01-06-2013, 01:17 AM
well things have finally been caught up a bit since i went on vacation and the holiday season is past so i thought i'd share my results with my new to me carbine barrel

the 1 x brass i managed to scrape up lost a few when i tried to neck up to 6mm and back down to give me a false shoulder so i annealed the rest and set a el cheapo 55 grain FMJ to just kiss the rifling , i decided to go with aa 1680 as i have a bit of it ( it's a fav in several other calibers ) the charge i chose was .2 light by one manual and mid load by another so it should be safe , i didnt shoot for groups but to sight in a new scope but had no problem walking it up to the bullseye and then i plinked like mad !! ( it's always more fun when you hit what you're aiming at :P ) of those cases i lost none , i had also purchased a box of PPU factory ammo , of those i lost two and perhaps 3 ( one looks like it may be ready to go ) it was the first factory ammo i've bought in quite a few years , it also shot fair , and now i'm in the process of a real load work up , the way it shot with fireforming loads and factory leads me to believe i got a shooter and am kind of kicking myself for not getting one sooner ( maybe however it'll of been worth the wait ? ;) )

edit for add ..

btw ? the manual's FPS listed and allowing for my 6" shorter carbine barrel i guesstimated that i should be around 1900 FPS not so ... average was 2170-ish with a low enough spread i was impressed , shame that with that heavy of a bullet it wouldnt expand as much as the lighter ones but i'm sure going to try the same load with some 55 sp's and check out the damage , mite be just the thing for a tender jack rabbit !!

daniel lawecki
01-08-2013, 03:27 AM
Nice Fryboy now shoot some 100yrd groups. My T/C pistol will shoot 3/4 inch groups and thats no BS.