PDA

View Full Version : Superformance

WSM guy
03-31-2012, 02:18 PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum, but it looked pretty cool so I thought I'd check it out. I'm only about six or eight months into reloading and am still learning alot. The question I have right now is, has anyone tryed out that Hornady Superformance powder yet? Does it really do what it claims? I bought a few pounds a while back and finally got around to loading some up for my 300WSM and 150Gr. TTSX's I havent been able to try them out yet due to my gun being in the shop having a muzzle brake installed. I do wonder what they will do, Hornady claims 3405FPS. I guess we'll see. Thanks.

versifier
03-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Welcome to the Guide.

I have never tried the powder, but I will tell you this: Their claims are based on the results they got in their lab under controlled conditions with their firearm, not yours. Actual numbers can vary by quite a bit when you introduce the variables of different barrel steel and length, different lot of powder, etc. Your results will always be different that what is published, sometimes by just a little, sometimes by a lot. The differences can't be predicted; the only way to know is to test them in your rifle.

The other important things to keep in mind especially with a high pressure magnum cartridge are that your rifle's MAX may be well below their listed MAX of charge weight, and that your rifle's best accuracy may (or may not) be found a good bit slower that the max safe (pressure-wise) charge weight.

It is always vital to begin at the START level and work up slowly in increments to the point where you find either that the groups tighten up, you reach the listed MAX charge, or you notice signs of high pressure. Primer signs do not always appear (though you should always heed them if they appear), and neither will a sticky bolt. The only ways a handloader has to reliably tell when a charge is over MAX for the rifle are loose primer pockets, and ANY change in the case head diameter (mic a new unfired case, mark the exact location you measured with a sharpie, load and fire it, then mic it again). There is no expansion of the solid case head within normal safe working pressures, no matter how many times the case is fired. A caliper (even a fancy digital one with a four decimal place readout) is only accurate to two decimal places, and that's not good enough when you're betting your life.

runfiverun
03-31-2012, 05:46 PM
this is a powder making the jump from bulk factory to canister grade.
yeah, we consumers get better more consistent powder than the factory does.
from what i gather about the powder is that it does need to be at the top end in the few applications it has to burn properly.
this is a pretty narrow window.
so if it works in your application, it will work very good.
where the load will tune to your rifle, or the rifle to the load i should say, is going to be found by working along the node sinewave.
in other words work up along the ladder till you find accuracy.