PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Wheel Weights

shamanlcs
03-09-2012, 03:50 PM
I have some wheel weights that have a sticky coating on them..Any suggestions for removal ,short of burning?

Thanks BTW just cast some 50 beowulf 440 lee mould..Runs great behing 30.5 grains of lil gun..

versifier
03-09-2012, 04:14 PM
The sticky stuff comes off in the smelting. Just make sure you get all the zinc weights out of the batch. They are much harder and usually have the clips attached with rivets, sometimes it even says what they are right on them. There are stick-on zinc weights, too. The stick-on lead weights are close enough to pure lead as makes no nevermind (you can either msmelt them separately if you shoot black powder or leave them in the mix).

Paul B
03-09-2012, 04:41 PM
If theye're flat with the sticky coating on one side, they're weights for mag wheels and are probably almost pure lead. You'll have to add something like some linotype to harden them up or they may be too soft for anything other than very light loads. Most of the time when I get a bunch of those, I'll add about two pounds of the flat weights to ten pounds of regular wheel weight and a pouns od linotype. That'll make them a lot more usable. Or, of you shoot muzzle loaders, them they'll be just fine as is.
Paul B.

shamanlcs
03-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Thanks much for the information..
They are the flat 1"sq.type so i will go with the nearly pure lead.And work accordingly..I have mixed plumbing vent boot lead with ww before for my 45's..
seems to work fine..

Paul B
03-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks much for the information..
They are the flat 1"sq.type so i will go with the nearly pure lead.And work accordingly..I have mixed plumbing vent boot lead with ww before for my 45's..
seems to work fine..

I have close to 100 pounds of that sheet lead myself plud 300 pounds of linotype that I literally fell into. Methinks I can make up a sweet alloy with that that stuff. I just have to find the time to do it.
Paul B.

Lefty
04-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Personally I'd seperate the soft tape on weight from the regular clips on weights. Your lead batches will be more consistant hardness. Save the tape on weights for a seperate smelting time or you can trade them for clip weights.

Lefty
04-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Another idea is to save the tape weights for later and use them to blend with clip weights 50/50 for a softer alloy for hunting boolit.

JJCASTINGS
08-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Another idea is to save the tape weights for later and use them to blend with clip weights 50/50 for a softer alloy for hunting boolit.

Another idea is to use them to blend a lyman #2 clone.

My casting is done with my usual alloy which is a Lyman #2 clone produced with 9# of clip wheelweight ingots, and 1# of 50/50 bar solder. Or 1/2 pound of the soft lead stick on weights / 1/2 pound lead free solder or tin. Check solder label, you want Sn95 Sb5 (95% tin 5% Antimony) I do add 1 oz. of chilled or magnum #8 shot and water quench the dropped bullets for a BHN of 21. I have found this alloy tolerant of jacket bullet pressures and velocities, accurate, and deadly on big game. If using the 95/5 solder, you do not need the 1 oz. of shot.

FYI: True Lyman #2 can be ordered here: http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/lyman2bulletmetal.htm

j1
02-05-2014, 02:39 AM
Zinc wheel weights ought to be against the law. Lead only. Everyone knows that, or should.

Hiya v. I got on here too.

versifier
02-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Welcome John. Glad you made it.

elkhunter77
02-07-2014, 05:29 PM
I used to get my linotype from the newspaper but no more. Where can I find it in bulk? Any ideas? Mark

versifier
02-07-2014, 05:32 PM
Look at the banner on the top of the page for Rotometals. [smilie=w:

otteray
02-10-2014, 03:31 AM
I've got several 5 gallon buckets half filled with lead ww. The new stuff is all zinc here now. Fortunately, they float to the top for easy picking as the lead melts.
Did I mention that I hate the California Condor?

j1
02-18-2014, 03:39 PM
V did you ever think of moving to Pa? LOL. I like dogs too. More than many people. They almost never lie.