PDA

View Full Version : Sass

wbrewski
11-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Does anybody in this forum shoot sass ? PS I am a new member will be seeking advise on re-loading black powder 44-40 boolets

Paul B
11-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Does anybody in this forum shoot sass ? PS I am a new member will be seeking advise on re-loading black powder 44-40 boolets

You might contact Wolfe Publishing. They put out RIFLE and HANDLOADER Magazines. I believe they may have done an article or two on the subject and maybe they just might have back issues for sale.
Paul B.

runfiverun
11-20-2011, 05:17 PM
black is pretty simple, a case full and seat the boolit on top with some compression.
NO air gap between the powder and the base of the boolit.
2f burns slower than 3f and 4f is used primarily for priming flintlock pans.
you need plenty of lube to keep the powder fouling soft.
lubes with b-wax and crisco or olive oil and lanolin work well but usually nothing hydrocarbon based.
and generally a softer boolit is best, something like 30-1 or 40-1 [lead to tin] or straight lead.
roll crimp gently to keep the boolits from moving forward under recoil.
use non static tools made from brass not plastic as a static zap will set black powder off.
you may want to use a 30" drop tube to get a full charge in a case.
those are the basics of a blackpowder round.
i am positive mike venturino has covered this sometime in the past in a handloader magazine also you could check their archives on the websight.
and over at the castboolits sight next door they have a black powder section where i am sure they can answer just about any question and probably suggest specific equipment and load components.