PDA

View Full Version : 762-54R the load with cast bullets

Toney
01-16-2006, 10:51 PM
been reloading berdan brass by drilling the anvil through the old primmer, got the stop on the press adjusted so i don'nt go to deep. after i hit the stop i check to see how much of the anvil is left, then i try to grind most of it out with a bur before i pry what's left of the old primmer. super glue holds the primmers in really good the first time but they leak after a reload.

i still have not got a lube size die for the .314 or reloading dies but my 765 factory crimp die has done a lot for me. I'm sticking the cases in through the top of the die and putting the crimp at the base of the neck. Then a check fits pretty tight in the fired case. after putting the powder in i use the side of my desk to get a check in the case flush with the top of the neck. then i set a bullet in the check and press it down into the crimp at the bottom of the neck crimping the check on. it works holds the bullet good

Have only used with mild loads WEAR SAFTY GLASSES!!!!

Lee 185gr RN 13GR tight group CCI mag rifle primmer

(sent wife to get primmers for my 45acp and she got the mag cci's figured they might help set that little bit of powder in that big case better}

shot some today in my m44 gun smith special with the sights set on 600yds they were hitting dead on at 10yd an around 4-5 low across the river 90-110yds just blasting, mostly freehand stuff

krag35
01-17-2006, 02:03 AM
Toney;
when I started loading for the Nagant, there were no boxer primed cases available (at least not in my price range) I drilled out a bunch of Berdan primed cases and converted them to 209 shotgun primers. I was loading low velocity/pressure with 314299 bullets and got good accuracy. I'll try to find the drill sizes I used if you are interested.
krag35

kg42
01-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Toney, thanks for the report on Tite group; I was wondering how it would do in this application... Did you use filler? (Harris doesn't recommed it)
What brand of desk do you use to check the case ?... just kiddin... ;)

I don't think you need mag primers; the two berdan holes usually do a pretty good job at igniting powder... a good way to save powder, if not time, in pistols :)
However, in rimless cases, shoulder setbacks might happen ; this can be avoided by drilling the (boxer) flash hole to .099 inch, according to C.E. Harris.

kg

Toney
01-18-2006, 08:03 PM
did'nt use any fillers.