PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant Sporterized

jekemi2005
08-11-2011, 05:00 PM
I was given a Mosin Nagant and I decided to Sporterize it. I started out with a new ATI synthetic stock. Then I ordered aluminum bedding pillars from Rock Solid Industries. I shortened the barrel by 2 inches and re-crowned it. Then I sent the bolt out to have it converted to a drop down bolt.
The coolest part was building my own aluminum scope mount. You can see from the picture how I mounted it. I have a Nikon ProStaff 3x9x40 scope attached.
After spending some time cleaning up the bolt mechanism I turned to the barrel. I used a copper cleaning solvent, which turned purple indicating the presenc of copper. Then I cleaned the barrel using Hoppes. Finally I shined the barrel using Never Dull polishing compound.
I hand-loaded my own ammo. My recipe is 52 grains of IMR 4350. I use Sierra Match King 174 grain BT bullets.
The groups have been dissapointing so far but getting better as I finese the barrel. 3" groups at 100 yards. I want to use the gun for Elk hunting.
It's been a fun project and I've learned a bunch

versifier
08-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Looks great. I have had a chance to play with and load for a bunch of them over the years. Due to the wide variation in the bore/groove diameters of Moisin barrels, I would suggest you slug it. That is the likely explanation for your accuracy issues. I have seen groove diameters vary between .306" and .315". The thing is, some of them can be extremely accurate (I'm talking subMOA) when the bullets are sized to the bore. That may or may not help with jacketed bullets, though you can find them that fit either .308 or .312 bullets well. They are, IMHO, made to shoot cast as you can custom size them to exactly what the bore is + .002-.003". A FNGC cast bullet in the 180-200gr range at 23-2500fps is more than enough to do the job on a moose or elk at reasonable ranges (out to 200yds) with proper shot placement.

303tom
08-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Been thinking of making me a shooter like that ! Thats pretty nice , how does it shoot ?

jekemi2005
08-12-2011, 03:58 PM
versifier: I did slug the barrel and I'm using .311 diameter (303). But, I think I need the .312 because the slug measurements came out a little greater than .311. The only problem I've had is finding a mandrel for the Lee dies that will open up the brass cartridge enough to accept the larger diameter bullet. Any thoughts on that. Would you recommend any other dies?

jekemi2005
08-12-2011, 03:59 PM
303tom: It shoots OK but not what I want. I'm getting about 3" groups at 100 yards. I think I may need to use the .312 bullet based on versifier's recommendations.

303tom
08-12-2011, 09:30 PM
I would say slug the bore & make sure.