PDA

View Full Version : H&R Handi Rifle

beekeeper
07-30-2011, 03:00 PM
I have one in .223 and various other calibers.
I have never been able to get the .223 barrel to be consistant and am looking for ideas to try.

Facts,
I shoot cast bullets only.
It will shoot one time at the range and do fairly good and the next time be abismal.
I take it down to transport.
This does not affect other barrels.

Ideas,
Read an article about putting a rubber" O " ring between the barrel and the fore grip.
Haven't tried it yet and am not sure just what if anything it would do.

Anyone have any knowledge on the "O" ring idea or any other ideas for that matter

beekeeper

GH1
07-30-2011, 10:17 PM
I personally don't have any knowledge of the O Ring idea, but you might want to try the NEF forum at Greybeard Outdoors. Lotsa knowledge there. The only other thing I can think of that will adversely affect accuracy is bullet fit in the bore. But I'm willing to bet you know that and have ascertained proper fit.
GH1

303tom
07-30-2011, 10:58 PM
How fast are you pushing your cast bullets , may be to fast !

Paul B
08-07-2011, 05:00 PM
How fast are you pushing your cast bullets , may be to fast !

Could be but I think it's probably something else. Those cast .22 bullets are awfully small and getting good castings can be difficult. Any bullets with any visible flaw must be rejected, no matter how small.You have to be absolutely ruthles doing the rejection process. It's disheartening when you may have to throw as many as 75 percent of a casting run back into the pot but that's what it takes for good accuracy. The content of the alloy can also be a crucial factor. The alloy I use for probably 98 percent of my bullet casting will not make decent .22 caliber bullets regardless of how hot I run the bullets or at any lesser temperature. I have to cast those from very clean linotype. I'd use monotype if I could get my hands on a decent supply. I've been loading my cast .22 bullets to right around 1600 FPS with fairly decent accuracy but I'm looking for much tighter groups down the road.
Getting good and consistant accuracy from .22 caliber cast bullets is an exercise in frustration and keen attention to detail. The more you pay attention to the details, the less frustration you have.
Paul B.