PDA

View Full Version : How much does your rifle Cost?

beekeeper
07-28-2011, 11:15 PM
I was at the range today.
Took my old Mauser 7 MM just to have some fun.
Got set up and another gentleman came and set up next to me.Asked what I shot, told him a Mauser 7MM.
Wanted to know what kind of barrel I used.
Told him it was a Adams& Bennett barrel.
He got all excited and told me they were unsafe and shooting one here on the range endangered every one there.
Moved his gear several stations away and went to complain to the range officer.
Didn't work as I stayed and shot anyway.
During a target break I looked at his rifle.
I estimate at least $5000 in it. The scope alone in the catalog is $3200.
It makes me wonder what he does for a living if he can spend that kind of money on one rifle.
My old 7x57Mauser shot as good as his did even with its Adams & Bennett barrel.

beekeeper

Paul B
07-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Just a rifle snob, that's what he was.My cheapest rifle was free and so far my most expensive is my custom .280 Rem. based on a 1909 Argentine Mauser. I'll just say it's four figures and let it go at that. Funny thing, the free gun shoots just as accurately and my high dollar gun. The freebie is a J.C. Higgins M50 based on the FN mauser action in 30-06. it was given to me by a late friend who has since passed on. I'd sell the .280 long beofre I'd ever sell that Sears rifle.
Paul B.

drhall762
08-06-2011, 03:26 PM
I did not know that about A&B barrels. What am I going to do now? I have 3 rifles barreled with them! Oh me, Oh my, the sky is falling.

Gun Snobs just torque me no end!

Guesser
08-06-2011, 04:17 PM
I've never paid more than 600$ for a long gun, can't say the same for hand guns, some are substantially more than that. I own rifles that would sell for more than 600$ today but they weren't in that category when I bought them. They just kind of seemed to grow with the market.

kodiak1
08-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Man I have guns from $5.00 to $5000.00 and they all seem to shoot just fine.
Therde are some that shoot better than others and price doesn't seem to make a difference.

Ken.

303tom
08-07-2011, 04:51 AM
I hate people like that , this cost me 90 bucks I think !

cwp1944
08-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Rifle Snobs are everywhere, most of us do not put any thought towards them, as when they open their mouth and excrement issues forth, most everyone then knows of their confirmed lunacy. My handguns usually cost more than my rifles, and that goes for the optics as well. A properly cared for rifle, broken in, fire lapped, and loved will out shoot many multi-thousand dollar sticks. There are many proven ways to improve accuracy, and most enthusiasts cannot preform to their equipments true potential. Enough said.

RiverratMike
08-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Funny thing about a lot of rifle snobs I have run into is they are so uptight they don't shoot as well as they should considering the value/quality of their gear. But then whether you are playing golf, riding a motorcycle, trying to make a handful of bullets all go in the same direction, etc. you need to get into a little Zen concentration and just deal with your own situation.
OBTW, I all ways liked the WWII Enfields, like 303tom's slightly modified Jungle Carbine in the picture just above, but when I first was buying them I couldn't afford to sporterize and now I prefer to shoot them as original.
Mike

Paul B
08-28-2011, 02:32 PM
I was at the range today.
Took my old Mauser 7 MM just to have some fun.
Got set up and another gentleman came and set up next to me.Asked what I shot, told him a Mauser 7MM.
Wanted to know what kind of barrel I used.
Told him it was a Adams& Bennett barrel.
He got all excited and told me they were unsafe and shooting one here on the range endangered every one there.
Moved his gear several stations away and went to complain to the range officer.
Didn't work as I stayed and shot anyway.
During a target break I looked at his rifle.
I estimate at least $5000 in it. The scope alone in the catalog is $3200.
It makes me wonder what he does for a living if he can spend that kind of money on one rifle.
My old 7x57Mauser shot as good as his did even with its Adams & Bennett barrel.

beekeeper

I was looking through this thread and on reading your post once more I'm thinking it may not have been the barrel he was talking about. Which type Mauser did you have? If they're either a 93 or 95 that cock on closing, I can understand the guy's concern. If your rifle was based on an M98 action, then that guy was full of smelly brown stuff.
However, not too many years back Kimber bought up a bunch of 1893 Mausers that had been rebarreled to the 7.62 CETME cartridge. The CETME round has the EXACT same dimensions as the 7.62 NATO/.308 Win. but is loaded to a lower pressure level. Kimber had the HP White pressure test those rifle to insure they would be safe shooting .308 Win. and 7.62 NATO milsurp ammo. The rifles were tested as if they'd been made of modern materials to about 75,000 P.S.I. and they passed without any problem. The only problem with 93 and 95 Mausers is that don't handle escaping gas as well as the M98 and later American made rifles. Regarding strength though, they were surprisingly much stronger than anyone thought.
Now that I know this, I really regret selling off a beautiful 1916 Oviedo Spanish Mauser that some British gunsmith had made into one of the neatest sporters I've ever had the pleasure to own. The gun looked and handled like a Rigby sporter and was very accurate to boot.
Sometimes, some gun writer of years long gone. A prime example is a 30-06 with a 1 in 12" twist barrel will not stabilize 220 gr. bullets. Wanna bet? My custom 30-06 by the late Cal Albright has a 1 in 12" twist Douglas barrel at my request as I wanted to shoot cast bullets. I probably shoot about 100 cast bullets in my rifles for every jacketed round and the 1 in 12" is great for that. Out of curiosity I tried the 220 gr. Sierra round nose bullet and groups ran from 1.0 to 1.25". A few years back a popular gun writer stated once more that 200's were not accurate and unstable in the 1 in 12" twist and I wrote back politely telling him he was wrong. I even sent the targets I shot. He sent back a nice reply stating that he stood corrected. (One target was shot at 100 yards and the other at 200, neither showing any signs of instability.) I even provided contact info on the people who witnessed the shoot. A few months later in another article he outright called me a liar. Needless to say I won't ever sit down and have coffee with him should the occasion arise.
Want another? You can't get ammo for the .308 with bullets heavier than 180 gr. for the most part. Why? Because the .308 is too slow with 200 and 220 gr. bullets. What few companies that still load 220 gr. bullets for the 30-06 advertise a velocity of 2400 FPS. My .308 Win. M70 with (GASP!) 1 in 12" twist will put three 220 gr. Sierra round nose bullets into .375 to .50" when I do my part at a velocity of 2310 FPS. Gee! Only 90 FPS slower than the 30-06. It wasn't too darn many years ago that the 30-40 Krag at 2000 FPS was considered a better round for elk than the 30-06. FWIW, while velocity was just about the same, that load was not quite as accurate in another .308 with a 1 in 10" twist. Haven't figured that one out yet.
Paul B.
Guess this is what happens when one is retired and has too much time on their hands.

303tom
08-29-2011, 01:45 AM
This one only cost a 100 bucks, I think.