PDA

View Full Version : LeverEvolution Brass

GH1
07-25-2011, 08:36 AM
I bought some LE .45-70 brass at a gun show yesterday, which I didn't realize until I got it home. It's .070" shorter than standard max specified length. I'm certain I can come up with a powder charge that takes into account the shorter length, but I'm concerned about crimp. I was told I couldn't crimp it using standard dies, because the brass is too short to reach into the crimp portion.
However, I'm pretty sure the lever guys reload this stuff seeing how Hornady offers load info for LE brass and FTX bullets, and as everyone knows a levergun needs a solid crimp.
Do I need to buy another crimp die? Or will my standard dies work?
GH1:grin:

fryboy
07-25-2011, 05:40 PM
in all actuality it depends upon the die , sadly the only way to tell is to screw it down and see , fwiw most leverloution brass is shorter and IIRC some of the data i have seen for the bullets state to trim the brass , hornady offers data for such and i'd bet a e-mail asking would get you some as would the following link

http://www.hornady.com/support/downloads/load-data

GH1
07-26-2011, 08:08 AM
I talked to a Hornady rep today and he told me their dies can handle the shorter length. Unfortunately my RCBS dies cannot; I tried to crimp a dummy round this evening and it didn't work. I suppose I could shorten the crimp die but instead I ordered a Lee Factory Crimp die. According to their website length isn't an issue with it and even if it is, I'll feel much better grinding on a $15.00 die as opposed to a $30.00 die. Not to mention the fact that the RCBS dies currently at my disposal belong to a co-worker, not me.
When I get my die and the rest of my components I'll be sure to post the results.
GH1

GH1
07-28-2011, 11:24 PM
My Lee factory crimp die arrived today and it wouldn't work on the short cases, so it looks like I'll be doing some machine work tomorrow. It shouldn't be too big of a deal.
GH1