PDA

View Full Version : Crimp on 45Colt

fishnbob
07-20-2011, 07:40 PM
I bought a 3 Die Lee set and I am crimping with the seater die. Would I be better off seating the boolit with the seater and buying a FCD to do the crimping?:?:

fryboy
07-20-2011, 08:25 PM
depends upon what you're shooting ... a cast boolit can actually be swaged down using the factory crimp die if set too much , yet with the regular seating/crimp die the roll crimp can be adjusted as desired and while too much can mess up the crimp groove part of a cast boolit it wont swage down the rest of the bearing surface like the carbide factory crimp can , if your shooting jacketed it shouldnt matter as long as you're crimping in the cannelure , the FCD is more of a post loading case sizer IMHO as their blurb states "for ammo that must fit " , so if your loads fit now then no sir it's not needed

fishnbob
07-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the advice Fryboy. Very informative and covers all my questions;-)

Doc.Holliday
07-22-2011, 11:46 PM
depends upon what you're shooting ... a cast boolit can actually be swaged down using the factory crimp die if set too much , yet with the regular seating/crimp die the roll crimp can be adjusted as desired and while too much can mess up the crimp groove part of a cast boolit it wont swage down the rest of the bearing surface like the carbide factory crimp can , if your shooting jacketed it shouldnt matter as long as you're crimping in the cannelure , the FCD is more of a post loading case sizer IMHO as their blurb states "for ammo that must fit " , so if your loads fit now then no sir it's not needed

I agree wholeheartedly!! The Lee FCD is NOT needed

Doc

FitOrBust
07-30-2011, 04:25 AM
The pellets would be pressed together, and final-fit behind a standard crimp. Total bullet weight might approach but not exceed a standard .45C single bullet. Powder-tables will be closely followed. Using copper-flashed steel-cases from Silver Bear. Any thoughts? Advice? FitO.

fryboy
07-30-2011, 06:05 AM
other than stating to use steel cases at your own risk no sir , well the standard start small and work safely up also applies

versifier
07-30-2011, 02:27 PM
I believe you'll find those steel cases have Berdan primers (two flash holes) and are not designed to be reloaded even with the correct tools.