PDA

View Full Version : Rifle brass

beekeeper
07-19-2011, 11:05 PM
I guess this is where It should be posted.
I read in a magazine that 43 Mauser brass can be formed from 45-90 brass.
$2.50 each for bertram 43 Mauser versus $1.00 each for 45-90 brass when available at Grafs. Would need to form it and that is the reason for the question.
I have formed 7MM and 8MM from 06 brass but had a forming die.
Anyone ever done the larger cases? Hints, bad juju tolook out for , worth the trouble ?

beekeeper

Guesser
07-20-2011, 01:21 AM
The old standard for 43 Spanish forming was 348 Winchester. It takes more than just a form die, it must be turned for about 1/4" above the rim. I've tried it, too much work, can't see where 45-90 would be any easier. I use Bertram, B.E.L.L. and I have a box of turned cases from Ballard Rifle and Cartridge in Cody Wy. The Jamison brand that Graf carries is cheaper and I hope a little more consistent in quality than Bertram has been. I learned to never full length resize, just neck enough to establish a little tension. I like the old cartridge and gun, but it is not especially accurate, just a lot of fun to shoot.

beekeeper
07-20-2011, 01:41 AM
I have 2 of them that I built from scratch including the stocks.
Built the stocks from looking at pictures.
Have shot them both with smokeless and intend to shoot one with BP.
Have a few pieces of brass but not enough (but when do you ever have enough) so am looking into making my own.
With my wifes health condition I have a lot of Garage time and thought it would take up a lot of it.
They are a lot of fun to shoot and at the range where I go I get a lot of looke loos when I break one out to shoot.
But of course not being a Sharps or Remington single shot BPCR the BP guys snub their noses at them.
No offence meant and hope none taken , as that is just the way it is and it suits me somehow.

beekeeper

Guesser
07-20-2011, 03:15 AM
Mine is an 1879 Argentine Army contract rifle, fine shape, good bore, good wood. I have an extra set of wood for it, I got a set of Lyman dies and a custom wad cutter punch to cut over powder cards. Didn't have a shell holder but I located a NOS RCBS #22 to fit 43 Spanish. At that time Lee dies were the only on the shelf dies available and they came with a shell holder that fit 348 and would not fit 43 Spanish cases. The 43 rim is larger. I use American Pioneer Powder, FFg, BP substitute. Have never used a smokeless load, have used a few duplex loads, 5 gr. of Unique and 60 gr. of Fg black, works ok. 43 is not as easy to work with as a straight wall case, the bottle neck is a little finicky; but fun. And, as you say, Looky Loos go OOOOH whats that!!!!!!!!