PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 327 Fed Mag

Mongchi
07-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Does anyone know why Taurus has discontinued making a 327 Mag? The round is only 3 years old and to make and discontinue that quickly raises questions. I talked to Taurus and they had no answers but did say the guns mage still have the full warranty.

versifier
07-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Why would anyone even consider any poorly made Taurus when there are two different Ruger revolvers available, DA and SA?

Guesser
07-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Actually I would consider a Taurus, incidentally---"not poorly made"!!!!!!! over the Ruger GP100 and the Blackhawk. I own two small frame 327 revolvers, neither is poorly made, did I mention that somewhere else?????? The Charter Arms Target Patriot and a Taurus 327B2, the CATP has had a little over 2000 rounds of heavy cast bullet 327 hand loads and an equal # of heavy cast bullet 32 Magnum hand loads and it has been flawless in function and has proven to be a very accurate combination. Off hand gallon milk jugs at 150 yards are consistently fair game. The Taurus is a recent acquisition with only about 500 rounds thru it. It should be fine, every other Taurus I've owned in the last 30 years has been good machinery. Customer service is good about answering questions, but I've never had to send back a Taurus or a CA, so that makes me a very inexperienced owner.
I cast Lyman 311316 for use in the 327, sized .313, checked and lubed it weighs 115 gr. A healthy dose of H110 or A#9 makes it a winner. But then I've never met a cartridge, personally, that didn't do most everything well, if it didn't it was applied wrong by the owner/operator. Nothing works for everybody/thing all the time.
Taurus bashing, OK, I recognize it, now!!!

versifier
07-23-2011, 07:31 PM
I have had two come apart in my hands, two on the firing line in the hands of other shooters, and finally refused to work on them at all after trying to deal with their poor excuse for customer service. I am told that things are a lot better now than in the past, but they lost my trust totally and I will not own or shoot another one, never mind trust my life or the lives of those I love to anything with their name on it.
Bashing?
No.
Reality, painfully experienced.
Some of them are great, work well out of the box, and stand up well to years of heavy use, but others do not, and it's a roll of the dice when you pick one up what you've got. It sounds like you've been lucky so far.

While mostly retired now, I have been a working gunsmith for over thirty years. You want to own and shoot them, go right ahead, as long as it's far enough away from me so I don't get hit with the shrapnel. Not that I have a lot of confidence in everything that is coming out of other American factories now either, but there are and always have been some names you can trust and others that you can't. The older Charters were acceptable (not fantastic, but functional), but what they've been selling the last few years I think are a waste of money. Generally you get what you pay for, though even the best of us have the occasional bad day. What matters is what a given company does to make right its mistakes in a fair and timely manner, and what steps it takes to make sure there is no repeat of the problem(s).

Guesser
07-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Maybe the reason I've never had a problem is because I've never owned a new one. I buy used almost exclusively, the one exception in the last six years was the CA Target Patriot. I bought it new for two reasons, I've never had a bad CA and it was in a new chambering that I wanted to try. My worst product experiences have been with S&W, my worst customer service experiences have been with Ruger. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, especially when it is based on personal experience. Your opinion and my opinion are both based on personal experience. I respect that and expect mine to be respected also. I think we have that in force, thank you.

versifier
07-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Yes, we're on the same page here. I have heard and experienced horror stories dealing with every gun maker producing today, but I have found that with a little patience and civility, most will eventually make things right. I also buy mostly used, though it's often to get the action I want for the rifle I want to build. One rule I will not break is to never buy a new gun until it has been in production for several years, time enough to identify any problems and fix them. That saves a lot of hassels even with the best customer service departments. Along with keeping my ears open at our club, I have found GunTests to be a valuable resource, not only for identifying potential problems but also for learning how the companies involved treated the folks who bought their mistakes.

Guesser
07-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Good points, all. I treat vehicles the same way; I never buy a first year production model, new or used. Thanks.

Mongchi
07-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks for your feedback, I was curious why Taurus would end production in the 327 Fed Mag so quickly after starting. I own 5 Rugers, 3 of them are revolvers. I was hoping the Taurus would be lighter than my SP101 (in 357mag) but they are about the same. I have never owned a gun I didn’t like, some had to have some work done before I like them. Maybe I just lucky.

Thanks for your input.

303tom
07-28-2011, 02:32 AM
To much competition , you know , the bottom line .