PDA

View Full Version : Getting the lead out

shoot1forme
07-10-2011, 04:52 AM
Just wanted to let anyone who may be interested know what I've been using recently to get leading out of my 9mm barrels. I found this posted on the web sometime ago and thought I'd give it a try....and I'm sure glad I did.

Take 1 part hydrogen peroxide and 1 part white vinegar and mix them together. If shooting a pistol remove the barrel, plug one end, clamp in a vice with the barrel vertical and pour the mixture into the barrel until full. The lead will be disolved by a foaming action within a short period of time. Depending upon how much leading it could take up to 30 minutes or so. Average for me is around 10 min. What you pour out will look like a diluted gray watercolor paint. After you're satisfied all the lead is out go ahead and finish off the cleaning as usual with your choice of components.

The same procedure applys to revolvers except the barrel must be cleaned while still attached to the weapon. I pad my vice with an old bath towel so as not to scratch the gun.

I plug one end of the barrel with a cork or duct sealing compound called permagum. Cork works best because the permagum at times doesn't want to let go easily. Most anything could be used as long as it seals the barrel tightly.

hornady
07-11-2011, 12:21 PM
I read that also on another form, I can’t remember which one. But was there not also a warning not to use on a steel barrel, only stainless. I may be wrong .

mattbowen
07-12-2011, 11:30 AM
It sounds interesting, hornady; If you clean a steel barrel with a good solvent wouldn't that negate the first solution?

Matt

hornady
07-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Like I say I remember reading the post. And might be wrong, I do know different chemicals react differently on different metals.
This mixture and then a commercial cleaner such as Hopp,s may not play well together.
Just a thought, anyone wanting to try it may want to research it a little before messing a barrel up. But then again it may not matter either way.

mattbowen
07-13-2011, 10:50 AM
shoot1forme, hornady;

I went to the S&W forum (http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-smithing/169602-hydrogen-peroxide-remove-lead.html) and found the above post. If these guys are correct I don't believe that I will fool around with hydrogen peroxide or any vinegar, with grand children around I don't want to take any chances.

Matt

hornady
07-13-2011, 12:25 PM
It is always best to research anything you read on the Internet, I have come across some good ideas, but you also come on some that are questionable like this.
Mattbowen thanks for the link.

firefly 1957
07-25-2011, 01:21 AM
The only problem with that mixture is it needs to be safely disposed of and NEVER leave it on blueing it will remove it. The formula is a old NRA cleaning tip.