PDA

View Full Version : 45acp oal

reddoggm
05-16-2011, 01:06 AM
Running 200gr lswc with ww231 4.6gr Taurus 24/7 pro Wondering where to start with my OAL I,m thinkin 1.23+ should chamber and eject OK but still wondering if anyone is running that kind of setup thats workin OR Am I stupid ?:-x:confused:

runfiverun
05-16-2011, 09:25 PM
there are several 200 swc type bullets.
some seat the shoulder of the bullet just a titch out of the case.
i seat mine right flush with the case mouth with a gentle case ironing out and not a squeeze of death in the taper crimp die.
my boy's 1911 likes them seated flush and a bump in the roll crimp die.
i shoot pretty plain jane mil spec 1911's though and like the extra bit of run at the ramp.
this seating depth has worked for me with the h&g 68 and the lyman 200 swc along with cast 230 rn's.
i may be wrong but i don't have any jams.

hotrodjap
05-30-2011, 06:24 PM
I ran into a problem if I seat the bullet far enough out of the case that the bullet contacts the end of the chamber keeping the slide from closing. My suggestion is to seat with very little of the full bullet diameter past the end of the cartridge. I like runfiveruns description of a titch out of the case.

Guesser
05-31-2011, 11:43 AM
As a general rule I have found that if the loaded round will fit in the magazine it will feed and fire without hesitation. When I set up to load I have a magazine at hand and seat deep enough for it to load into and feed out of and it works. I don't own any custom semi-autos that require special attention. Basics work for me.

oscarflytyer
06-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Std GI plain jane gun. H&G # 68 clone (MiHec) 200 LSWC. Books list, I think 1.165" CAOL.

I wanted mine as 'long' as the gun would chamber. Removed the bbl and kept seating the bullet until the base of the case was nearly flush with the leading edge of the bbl.

Using this method, IIRC, my COAL length is 1.250". Functions flawlessly in my gun. Each one has its own quirks

shoot1forme
09-23-2011, 04:25 AM
It sounds as though whatever COL for the 45acp works well then that's the one to use. Wonder what the pressures increase to if and when the bullet is seated .030" deeper? I know that with the 9mm Luger I've read that a mere .030" increase in seating depth can take the safe, 28,000 normal psi pressure, to a whopping 60,000 psi....not a desirable condition. Wonder if this applies in some respect to the 45 also?

versifier
09-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Yes, it does make a difference in the .45ACP too, but it runs at a significantly lower max so the danger is usually minimal. 9mm, .40S&W, and 10mm all run at much higher pressures and seating too short or a telescoped round from insufficient crimp will push pressures way into the danger zone.

Paul B
09-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Oscar shas the best method of setting up the rounds. That's how I do it for several very tight tolerenced 1911's and a SIG P220. Even works on the sloppy chambered Colt Combat Commander. I shoot mostly the SAECO #068 which is a bevel based clone of he H&G #68. I also shoot a hardball equivilant cast bullet as well, mostly from the Commander which is my carry gun. Works for me.
Paul B.