PDA

View Full Version : Hog Hunt

GH1
05-01-2011, 09:14 PM
I got this little 85 lb porker yesterday.
I used a commercially made 158 gr cast RNFP on top of 13.5 gr AA#9. The gun was a Marlin 1894c in .357 magnum.
The bullet entered the head/neck just above the ear, broke the neck traveled the length of the pig before exiting just in front of the rear leg.
Gotta love cast penetration, this pig didn't move an inch when he got hit, it was bang-flop. End of story.:grin:
GH1

Smoke-um if you got-um
05-14-2011, 06:36 PM
I've hunted whitetails,geese,rabbits,crows,foxes and groundhogs my whole life. Not necessarily it that order ;-) We don't have any wild pigs in the Northeast that I'm aware of. From what I've seen and heard I might be careful what I wish for. I've laid some, not very subtle, hints on my son and hunting partner that we need to go hog hunting and that Fathers Day is just around the corner. We'll soon see if the tree bears fruit. Congrat's on yours.
8)
Mike

GH1
05-16-2011, 09:37 PM
The place I went is called Wild Hog Ridge in Columbia, La. They're just a little bit south of Monroe. www.lahoghunting.com
The owner's name is Jerry Bailey & he's a good guy. You'll get a pig if you hunt at his place, but you'll have to pay for it. They charge $125.00 for one nights lodging & three meals. When you get a pig you'll pay $1.70/lb live weight, which includes skinning and quartering. Some might consider this a canned hunt and frown upon it, but I had a good time & I plan on returning possibly in the Fall, definately in February. It's a lotta fun.
GH1

Smoke-um if you got-um
05-17-2011, 02:54 AM
The place I went is called Wild Hog Ridge in Columbia, La. They're just a little bit south of Monroe. www.lahoghunting.com
The owner's name is Jerry Bailey & he's a good guy. You'll get a pig if you hunt at his place, but you'll have to pay for it. They charge $125.00 for one nights lodging & three meals. When you get a pig you'll pay $1.70/lb live weight, which includes skinning and quartering. Some might consider this a canned hunt and frown upon it, but I had a good time & I plan on returning possibly in the Fall, definately in February. It's a lotta fun.
GH1

Thanks. I forwarded the web site to his e-mail. His wife called a little later and told my wife that he is looking into a hunt somewhere in Tenn., not sure exactly where. She said the prices for the hunts have been a little "salty" some of the places he called. We'll see what happens.

Mike

GH1
05-17-2011, 09:51 AM
I know what she means. Some places will charge you five or six hundred bucks whether you get a pig or not, that's why I picked Wild Hog Ridge. If for some reason I didn't get one I'd only be out the $125.00.
If I pay someone $500.00 what incentive does he have for me to get a pig? He gets his money whether I'm successful or not.
Anyway, good luck with your search for a hunt and be sure to keep us posted.
GH1

MaxwellNox
09-28-2018, 09:06 AM
Thats a nice hog. Congrats. Im going to Maui in September, maybe my wife will let me do this. He have affordable prices?