PDA

View Full Version : 284 win

casullman
02-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Is the strait 284 Winchester of reviving ? Is it worth the 200 fps over the 308 , 7mm-08 0r the 7x57 ? Is it worthy of consideration over the 7mm rsaum and 7mm wsm (being the fastest of the the short 7mm's) ?

runfiverun
02-20-2011, 04:37 PM
it and the modified version won the f-class championship this year.
the 7 rem saum is fast becoming a target favorite also.
2 of the best designs ever and they were completely overlooked by the general public.
the target guy's are also doing the 7 short but they are necking the 300 down for a longer neck.
something i think the factory shoulda done to begin with.

if there were some 284/7 saum/7x57 type hunting type rifles available, they would sell some [at least one of each to me]
but the 280,7-08, and 7 mag seem to reign on the factory front.

versifier
02-20-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm still kind of up in the air on this one. On the plus side it works in a shorter action, and the short fat configuration does seem to have some inherent accuracy advantages. OTOH, I do not like the rebated rim even though it does let you use standard bolts without modification. I can't see that it has any real advantage in the field over the .280, or even the 7x57 in a good strong action, and the brass is more expensive and not easily formed from another common round. The small velocity advantage over the 7-08 looks good on paper, but it is no real advantage in that a well placed shot will do the job despite a little more or less speed. It is a niche cartridge that can be advantageous in certain uses, but its greatest plus may well be not in the round itself, but in the creative ideas the concepts it is based on can generate when applied to cartridge design as a whole.

Speaking strictly as a hunter, it seems to me like it was reinventing the wheel just so Winchester could use the added velocity as a marketing tool when they chambered their m88's and m100's for it. A dead deer is a dead deer. And personally I much prefer the .30cals for their far greater variety of available bullets and moulds. That said, I certainly wouldn't refuse the gift of a nice old m88 in .284, but I don't know how often I would be out shooting it.

fryboy
02-20-2011, 10:09 PM
ummm i have to confess .... i love the brass ... just not in 7 mm caliber :P actually as five noted for what it was designed for it still works and works well , sadly the wildcats that came from it ( such as my fav the 6.5 x 284 now known as the 6.5 x 284 norma ) eclipsed the original round tho everyone loves the fact that they can now fit appox the same amount of powder in a 30-06 case in a 308 length case ( and action ) no matter what size they deem their fav , for some folks that extra 200 fps translates to longer shots and a lil flatter trajectory , in this case it is still very worthy !!

Sully
02-22-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm still kind of up in the air on this one. On the plus side it works in a shorter action, and the short fat configuration does seem to have some inherent accuracy advantages. OTOH, I do not like the rebated rim even though it does let you use standard bolts without modification. I can't see that it has any real advantage in the field over the .280, or even the 7x57 in a good strong action, and the brass is more expensive and not easily formed from another common round. The small velocity advantage over the 7-08 looks good on paper, but it is no real advantage in that a well placed shot will do the job despite a little more or less speed. It is a niche cartridge that can be advantageous in certain uses, but its greatest plus may well be not in the round itself, but in the creative ideas the concepts it is based on can generate when applied to cartridge design as a whole.

Speaking strictly as a hunter, it seems to me like it was reinventing the wheel just so Winchester could use the added velocity as a marketing tool when they chambered their m88's and m100's for it. A dead deer is a dead deer. And personally I much prefer the .30cals for their far greater variety of available bullets and moulds. That said, I certainly wouldn't refuse the gift of a nice old m88 in .284, but I don't know how often I would be out shooting it.

I'd never swap a good 280 or 7 x 57 for a 284. No matter how much $$ they wanted to kick in.