PDA

View Full Version : Reblueing handgun

_MIg_
02-10-2011, 03:33 AM
A friend resently ask me if i knew how to reblue. Well i have done some horrible reblueing jobs on my own weaponds and told him i was terrible at it. He is on a buget due to the economy and it was hard for me to say no. I would like to ask for some advice about it. What i have used in the past is Birchwood`s Perma blue. Needles to say it hasnt been as good as i would like. So if any one out there cangive me some tips i would realy appreciate it.

Thanks

versifier
02-10-2011, 05:20 PM
No cold blue technique can ever equal a hot blue bath, but I have had reasonably good results on in-the-white replacement barrels. Touchups are always problematic as you can't really get a true color match between hot and cold blue, but it will still end up looking better than patches of white steel. Make sure he knows before you start that he can't be both cheap and picky. If he is, don't start it and you will save yourself a lot of unneeded abuse. :wink:

One important thing you have to do is to completely degrease the metal to be blued. Acetone (nail polish remover) does a good job, but read the label to be sure the active ingredient in it is really acetone and not some woman-friendly substitute.

Be patient and keep at it, multiple coats. Ten to fifteen applications have been needed for a new barrel, depending on temperature (the warmer, the better the the solution reacts with the metal - my best results have been in the summer).

Make sure the barrel is completely dry after rinsing and before reapplication.

Wear gloves as your fingerprints contain oil and will show up clearly on the metal as places where the blueing doesn't take as well. [smilie=1: I learned this the hard way.

_MIg_
02-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Thnx Versifier, i know know what whent wrong last time i try it, lol the finger prints lol. I also didnt use acetone, i use disk brake cleaner , it seems to work well taking of oil. My fiend isnt picky he just for got to take out his revolver out of his camper and when it rain the camper leak. His revolver was swimming in water for a while. He isnt the sharpes tool in the barn and used sand paper on the rust build up. I will fallow your advice and see how it goes.
Thanx again

versifier
02-11-2011, 04:29 PM
If he used sandpaper, you will probably want to do some polishing first, depending upon how badly he has bubba'd it up. Good luck.