PDA

View Full Version : Confused

algator
01-25-2011, 11:36 PM
I'm new to this site, and have a question? Have a Springfield P9LSP, 9mm am looking for a decent target load for it. Was told to us a 147gr LFP but they could not tell me what powder to use, would appreciate any help I can get or suggestions.

THANK YOU
ALGATOR

versifier
01-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Welcome to the Guide.

What manuals do you have on hand? Are you also new to handloading?

For a target load I see no reason at all to use such a heavy bullet, unless testing tells you that's what the pistol prefers.

My general rule of thumb is to start with Unique and see how the accuracy is, but in this instance there's only a very small window (3.8-3.9gr). In fact, there's only a small window no matter what powder you start with. The 9mm doesn't give you a lot of elbow room in other bullet weights, either, so instead of tweaking charge weights like with most other pistol cartridges, you have to try different powders, each with a tiny range of charge variation. With any pistol round that runs at relatively high pressure like this one, you have to be very careful of your seating depth. If the bullet is seated too deeply into the case, the pressure can spike dramatically, so pay attention to the bullet manufacturer's recommended OAL.