PDA

View Full Version : 125gr swc load for 357 mag

shadow1265
01-09-2011, 02:27 AM
i accidently purchased 500 125 gr swc . i nomally load 158 gr with aa5 powder for shooting at my monthy range night. i can not find any load data for theese light boolits. if i can find a satisfactory load for shooting paper,i can buy more of theese really cheap. thanx:

versifier
01-09-2011, 03:39 AM
What manuals do you have that don't list 125gr bullets in a .357mag? Every single one I have has lots of loads.

If the problem is that they are cast and not jacketed, relax, they use the same data. You just have to be aware of the possible limitations of the bullet diameter/alloy/lube in commercially cast offerings.

Assuming your bullets are plain base, if the bullets are correctly sized and your cylinder throats are large enough (.359-.360"), you shouldn't have leading issues as long as you don't push them up near max. Smaller diameter and/or harder alloys are more likely to cause leading problems if you get too enthusiastic. Gas checks on them will let you go all the way up. Either way, I doubt you'll be seeing best accuracy way up there in the hot range. For target bullets in a .38/.357, mv isn't a factor until you get out beyond 50yds (and you'd want something heavier - 150-180gr - for longer ranges anyway, at least I do). Most revolvers do very well with 125's, assuming the particular revolver likes those particular bullets. You'll just have to do some testing to find out your revolver's opinion. I'd start with Unique then 2400.

runfiverun
01-09-2011, 05:32 AM
i like to shoot 125 rnfp's in my 9mm.
the ones made for the 38 fit my 9's bbl's much better than the 355 size you normally get.
both of my 9's mic out at 357.
in my d.w. and rossi 357 i like 125's in the 38 case with 3 grs of clays or 4 grs of 231, or 5 grs of unique.
just use some of the starting loads for jacketed. and if you can't fine a load for 125 lead use data for the 148 wad cutter.
the 125's are great for bunnies and squirrels. and rocks and kids [to shoot not at]
in my 9's they tightened groups up by over half.

shadow1265
01-09-2011, 10:26 PM
these are just to poke holes in paper on my monthly range night, i normally load 158s but bought this box at a show. i didn't realize they were 125s till i got home. i was not sure if i could use jacketed data. i used to use unique for all my taget loads but tried some aa5 and really like how much cleaner it burns.

Jagerdad
01-14-2011, 01:44 AM
Greetings. I'm new to this forum (well...back posting ...been traveling a bit. Joined in maybe 2006).
First....if your going to evening shoots ...congratulations. That's a very fine way to have fun.
And, you reload = double :-)
hopefully you'll encourage one non-reloader to come by your home and allow him/her to watch you reload. You'll have a better feeling in doing that, then if you hit all X's with every shot.
Reloading for revolvers is very forgiving. If you get a deal on bullets there's usually a way to have them shoot safely and accurately.
I'll refrain from sounding technical or smart.....that's easy.
A revolver rotates it's ammo and the powder within the shells may be laying towards the front of the interior space of the case or towards the rear. In some situations powder position means many things but in a 38/357 = not much of a worry. The only reason I brought it ip is to allow the words to sort-of make a picture in one's mind ad to how much space There is in a casing when using Such minuscule amounts of powder. Most cases can hold several charges of powder. I have used 2.1 grains of XYZ powder for decades but recently I've switched yo a new powder just Because I van teach folks how to reload and basically, never worry (Once they walked off and may begin reloading on their own) that anything I showed them Could cause them harm.
All of this typing on my part means I'm suggesting you try Trail Boss Powder.
My daughter is in college and over The christmas break brought 15 Sorority Sisters home (To my home ...Yikes).
Everyone of these girls were registered Democrats and, against guns. By the time they left, they, ad a team, loaded 4000 38 wad cutters, 1700 45 Colt shells with: Trail Boss Powder. They went out on the ranch .....totally terrified of any gun. The pressure For the first to volunteer faded quickly Because my daughter said: You all arrived here hating guns but, you reloaded a bunch of ammo. If you don't shoot....no problem ....I will (Said my Daughter).
Those first 15 minutes were safety this, safety that but soon they were almost arguing whom gets to shoot next. Some were using big $ to buy their way to The head of the line.
Frankly, I don't care if they remain Democrats( But they better VOTE) but they left here with joy. I'm out a bunch of cast bullets ect....but that's what reloading is to/for me. PASSING it on to others.
Since I'm new, I'm going to try to place a link or two below.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/ ammunition-reloading/50922-357-mag-trail-boss-powder-fun.html

http://www.imrpowder.com/data/handgun/ trailboss-feb2005.php

Reloading is a personal choice. Registering and voting is Required in my home.
No hollywood actors were injured in the reloading or shooting process taken place during Christmas break. No Capa Sister incurred more than one scratched porcelain fingernail. Honestly, that was a high concern. If the gun fired....smiles abounded and the legendary call: Daddy ...More
....Ammo..was sung.
Yes, 125grain booletoes....are ok.

Jagerdad
01-14-2011, 01:48 AM
PS: I'm registered Republican but I'm always out numbered. That's ok. Most of my Democratic friends are more conservative than my Republican friends. Yep: Go Figure.

Jagerdad
01-14-2011, 02:17 AM
http://www.google.com/m/search? pbx=1&client=ms-android-verizon&source= android-home&aq=0&oq=ms% 252014%2520g&aqi=g6-k7d3t0& fkt=1829&fsdt=15943&q=ms+14+gang

Shadow 1265. If 1265 = MS14. I'm ok. Been with many & gave/had: respect.
Nuff said. Plus....with me...can't never do a scroll kite. Way...to old.