PDA

View Full Version : 462 425 load data

SnappingTwig
12-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Howdy.

I recently received my 460 425 NOE mold from the Castboolits group buy. Casting from WW they weigh 419g.

My powder choice is H4198 and my brass is Winchester.

Looking at the data on Hodgdons site, it shows 400g loads from 46g to 50g.

I loaded up 20 at 47g trying to duplicate an 1800fps load to match my NOE 350g boolit for POA/POI.

Now it appears that when looking over RD's data for this powder and a very similar boolit, he stops at 41.1g for a damn near max load in an 1895 guide gun.

In fairness, he's using R-P brass which is lower in capacity by @ 4g, so it would stand to reason that you'd use less powder, but my question is this...

What's the max for this powder/bullet in Wichester brass? Is it 43g or thereabouts? Is the 47g load I've made unsafe?

I'm resigned to getting out the impact hammer and starting fresh, but I'd like your thoughts here.

I'm not looking to max anything out, in fact I was trying to target an 1800fps load for ease of use when switching boolit weights for different situations. The 350g boolit at 1800fps isn't a max by any stretch, more a moderate load and I had hoped that a 420g would be similar in this way.

Your thoughts please.

I'm going to stick with the H4198, so it appears something a bit slower in the area of 1650fps or so is most likely, but using Winchester brass, what would the load be?

runfiverun
12-21-2010, 04:27 AM
is this a 45-70?
458 win i'm guessing.
either way the 420 is gonna take up much more room in the case.
with powders like 4198 theres a big pressure difference between a 1/4" of airspace and a slightly compressed load.
if you are looking at trying for same point of impact you will have to have different velocities as the heavier boolit will be in the bbl longer going slower so it should hit higher.