PDA

View Full Version : Counter boring

Toney
01-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Anybody done any counter boring?

Toney
01-05-2006, 12:17 AM
Just tryed free handing the 8mm barrel i cut off the turk. Went very good, looks just like my counter bored m38. think i'm gonna do it

versifier
01-05-2006, 05:00 AM
Toney, I'm not sure what you mean by "counter boring". Crowning?

d-o-k
01-05-2006, 05:31 AM
I have a under paid /over (if you listen to the lazy overpaid rouge) worked gunsmith locked away who Crowns my barrels & I swear by it !

Dave

Toney
01-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Home counterboring

http://www.websitetoolbox.net/tool/post/surplusrifle/vpost?id=88023

Toney
01-05-2006, 11:12 PM
It worked!!! is shooting into 2 1/2" at 100yds now!!! and about 12" to the left with the bayo folded and around 3" to the right with the bayo extended.

counter bored my new hung m44 back around an inch with a 23/64" drill bit, got all the rust. barrel looks better than the m38 i got from sog

d-o-k
01-06-2006, 05:29 AM
Ok I'm with you now ! Muzzle wear aye ? I've had the same problems with rifles over the years ! I normly take a Inch or so off the muzzle depending on the amount of wear (Old Enfields are known for it ) With my working rifles I just sent them back to my Barrel supplier/builder (Sprinter Arms )He would checK for throut erosion as well & either replace or Cut & rethread the barrel & clean up & recrown the muzzle !
If I'm ever luckey enough to get lathe I'll have a go at it myself :coffee:

Dave

versifier
01-06-2006, 05:38 AM
So, basically it is cleaning up the muzzle by removing the lands/grooves in the end of the barrel by drilling out an oversized hole. I had never heard the term before. Like a really deep target crown (also called a counter bored crown), but without touching the rest of the crown. A little bit bigger bit and a few perpendicular holes and you've got a home made muzzle break. I'd want to do the job on a lathe, too. I'd also be more inclined to spring for the piloted crowning cutter from Brownells on a good rifle, but it might be interesting trying it on a junker. If I screw it up, the barrel gets shortened and recrowned anyway. Many who saw-cut their barrels to shorter lengths shape and true things up with a file, then touch up the ends of lands and grooves by countersinking with a Dremel and some grinding compound with a similar notable improvement in accuracy. Absent the crowning cutter, I think touchup with the Dremel would be my first step, if it didn't work then the drill, then the cut&file with Dremel, then give up and use the lathe. Some of those old warhorses have muzzles that look like they were used to quarry stone and they group like a shotgun, the improvement in your rife is inarguable. It is definitely worth a try.

Toney
01-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Yep on a $32 gun smith special you can't do much damage if i screwed it up my plan was to remove the sight bayo base and cut the sight base off and replace the sight base without the bayo mount and then cut the barrel back.

I've got very good with a drill, when i first opened up shop here in drumright it was a little slow so i started taking jobs from a mufler shop drilling and tapping exhaust bolts in heads, most of them done with an angle head drill with mirrors. So when i started drilling on rifles it was no big deal

kg42
01-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Congratulations Toney!

kg

Toney
01-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks kg42

d-o-k
01-08-2006, 05:59 AM
No Fair Toney !!!! Having the right tools for the job !Now I'm all envious of ya :mrgreen:

Dave