PDA

View Full Version : Reloading record keeping

patti
11-12-2010, 04:16 AM
Fellas, in what format do you keep your reloading records? By that I mean, what layout of information? And how do you organize it?

I've been keeping just a little spiral bound notebook, and writing down how many rounds, details of bullet, powder, case, primer etc. But now I'm getting so much info that I'm having trouble keeping it straight. There's got to be a better way. How do you do it?

Pat

versifier
11-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Willy has his own Loading Log pages at the home page that you can download.

I just print my own. I number each log (I just started #3) and follow that with a batch number: #1-234 (log #1, entry #234). Depending on the size of the notebook, I will use a log for 500 entries (1/2") or 1000 entries (1"). I fit three or four entries on a page and copy to both sides, punch holes, voila. Eventually, I will have everything crossreferenced by firearm, too, including each bullet tested, test results, best loads with all powders/bullets tested.

Log# ___Page #_____ (only at the top of each page)
Batch#___-_____ Date___/___/_____
Caliber:_____________ Number of rounds:___________
Cases: Mfg:______ LoadX:_____ TrimX:_____ Crimp: N Y ( R T F )
Sized: FL SB Neck For:Mfg:_____Mod:____Owner:_______________
Powder:Mfg:_____#:_____Lot#:______ Charge Weight:_____.___grains
Bullet:Mfg:______Weight:______ Profile:________OAL:____._______inches
Primer:Mfg:_____Style:______Lot#_____ EST MV:____________________
Notes:

The "notes" section at the bottom is for listing group sizes by powder increments, group POI compared to the rifle's regular load, pressure signs on primers and when they appear, etc., and also if it is a target/practice, hunting, or varmint load. I try to leave an inch or so for this space below each entry. If the entry is part of a test series, I note it clearly by hand in the outer margin:
.308 Test 50yd (or 100etc)
150cast bullet "A"/3031

I will write up separate range reports for some tests, especially if I am using a chrono during testing. Along with group sizes and measured velocities, the report also includes date, time, temp, humidity, wind, etc., and the specific firearm. The sheet is filed with the notes for that specific gun, and sometimes I also keep specific test targets in with those notes, especially if they are really good groups.

On the ammunition box goes a label with the date, batch number, cartridge, rifle or handgun the load is intended for (if specific), bullet weight & style, powder charge, and OAL. Hunting Loads are specifically marked as such.

patti
11-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks, Versifier! Great information, really helpful. I can see I have a lot of work to do!