PDA

View Full Version : ooking for a 12ga Double-Baller .600 in a 2-3/4" recipe?

fireboy
10-31-2010, 07:03 AM
I know somebody has had this idea already so I'm looking for their recipe if you can help.

I just feel I could do a lot better without all that heavy pounding that the Tri-Ball balls are going to be dishing out!

12ga Double-Baller .600 in a 2-3/4" hull, like the Tri-Ball Dixie has but with two .600
balls. I see there is even a 2-3/4" wad like the 3" wad (Precision Reloading orange #TUPRW123), the 2-3/4" Wad is white TUPRWW12.

I have a lot of Cheddite 2-3/4 hulls and I like what I've been reading about the Dixie Tri-Balls and I can not see any reason why it wont work in the 12ga 2-3/4 unless there is some big difference in the 2-3/4 wad. I haven't been abe to find any specs on the wad to really make a comparisons.

BTW: I've been searching for over three days now on Goggle and many forum to no good end.

Thanks in advance. FB

runfiverun
10-31-2010, 02:52 PM
have you tried contacting dixie slugs?
he is a member of cast boolits and should have some ideas.
failing that,and if i were to try it.
i would weigh the balls and look for load data that was compatible with the payload weight.
you may want to use some cards under the balls and an over shot card with buffer.
or use a gas seal under the wad, and an overshot wad on top to help the crimp.

fireboy
10-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks runfiverun
I just went and posted a message to Mr.Gates on his web forum.
Thanks again fb

fireboy
11-07-2010, 01:18 AM
have you tried contacting dixie slugs?
he is a member of cast boolits and should have some ideas.
failing that,and if i were to try it.
i would weigh the balls and look for load data that was compatible with the payload weight.
you may want to use some cards under the balls and an over shot card with buffer.
or use a gas seal under the wad, and an overshot wad on top to help the crimp.

runfiverun
I wanted to post so you can see Mr. Gates responds to your suggestion to contact Dixie.(below)
Again thanks for your help and now I'm working per Mr.Gates suggestions and maybe I'll be able to post back some good results. fb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Although Dixie has not worked up any two ball loads for 12 ga 2 3/4".......we will give some suggestions.
First of all, weigh the balls and divide that weight by 437.5....that will give you the ounces of your balls. Look up a shot load calling for that ounce weight.
Then...measure the overall length of the balls and check the length of BPI's LBC wad's inside. This will select the best wad. Your crimp index may call for filler wads. Select the slowest burn powder listed for your weight of balls or shot. Buffer the balls to cover the top one. Since there is less sidewall pressure with the balls, the buffer will be safe. The balls should be hard so the will not deform and cause sidewall pressure.....Regards, James
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

runfiverun
11-07-2010, 05:21 PM
the buffer i am thinking, will definately also help your patterning.
i'd also look at getting a fairly tight fit between the balls,the wad thickness, and the bbl.
also consider the buffer as part of your payload weight.