PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 22-250

Toney
10-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Got a new rifle today!!! Been wanting a 22-250 for a long time.

Got to go shoot. Been raining hope it stops before this weekend when ML season starts

runfiverun
10-21-2010, 02:55 AM
you'll like it.
i think i like shooting my 22-250 more than the 223.
sept now the 223 only shoots cast, so it's coming back up the list.

Toney
10-21-2010, 03:33 AM
Got it sighted in today. Shot some 40grVM hornady factory loads 4rds into .627" at 100yds!!! Shooting it off my tail gate.

Need more ammo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walt
10-21-2010, 02:52 PM
While I've not shot any factory loaded 40 grain V-Maxs I have handloaded several thousand. IMO they are some of the most accurate 22 caliber varmint bullets going. Your .627 group seems to back that up.:-)

versifier
10-21-2010, 05:04 PM
I have always preferred heavier 55gr bullets in my .22-250, Sierra GK SBT and HPBT, and 52gr MK HPBT, especially for long range varminting. They retain velocity (and accuracy) better beyond 300yds, are less bothered by wind than lighter bullets, and kill larger canine varmints much more cleanly. At less than 300yds where 40gr bullets perform well, a .223 is adequate and uses a lot less powder. NOT that I would turn up my nose at the level of accuracy you are getting, but I have found that out of a dozen real 100yd tack driving loads, only one or two still remain stable and accurate out at 400. The bottom line for a real varmint rifle is: Can you hit a target the size of a tennis ball at 400? The rifle is capable if you can find the right load.... ;)

Toney
10-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Was looking at the box i was shooting 50gr got to get some glasses.
Plan on trying some 55gr handloads soon as i get some dies. Thinking about the Lee deluxe 3 die set.

versifier
10-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Good idea. Unless you have a match chamber and need to neck turn the brass for it, the collet neck sizer is the way to go as it's way cheaper than a bushing die and it works the brass much less than a conventional NS die with an expander ball. Sometimes the accuracy improves noticably as compared to FL sizing, sometimes not, but brass life sure improves.

Walt
10-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Versifier,

You have some valid points about the heavier .22 bullets. In the wind or at long range the longer bullets do fly better and provide some extra punch for coyotes. If expected ranges are way out there one of the 6m/ms might be a better choice. At shorter range the 40 V-Max is quite a performer. The hits inside 200 yards, with a swift or 22-250, on chucks are absolutely devastating.

Regards,
Walt

versifier
10-22-2010, 03:41 PM
The only thing better than a dead woodchuck is one already in pieces for crow or fox bait. :) Dead is dead. 40gr bullets generally blow up on the surface of coyotes and other large dogs and do not kill cleanly even though they work great on small varmints. I leave my varmint rifle sighted in for one load (Sierra 55gr GK SBT over 3031) that will take out anything from a chipmunk to 150lb feral dog cleanly out to my max range with it. I do keep a list of all its favorite loads with many different bullets, but that is the one I have always relied on since I first worked it up 35 years ago. I don't see as well as I used to, but the rifle doesn't know how old it is.

Yes, on paper the 6mm's appear to have some advantages at longer ranges, but I have never found any 6mm standard or wildcat that could even come close in accuracy to my .22-250 at extreme ranges. There may be one or two out there, but I haven't met them yet. If I were looking for something bigger I think seriously I'd go up to 6.5 as the BC's are so much better than the 6's. No flies on the .243 though, one of the better dear and bear rifles out there (with the right bullets). I know a lot of folks like to make them do double duty as deer/varmint rifles, but I have never seen the point of it unless someone only had one rifle and had to make do. Fortunately I've never had that problem.