PDA

View Full Version : Die Question

retired PO
10-19-2010, 10:32 AM
I just started reloading this summer, am fairly comfortable with the whole pistol thing,.... now Im ready to tackle 30-06, 308, and 220 swift.... I have some old 3 die Lyman but I see that a lot of 2 die sets are sold.... what is the advantage and disadvantage of both..... thanks. dave

versifier
10-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Is the third die a neck sizer, a neck expander, or a crimp die? Rifles dies usually come in 2die sets, but depending on the rifle and what you are loading there are extra specialty dies that may be needed or useful.

3die pistol sets as you know are composed of a sizer (usually carbide), a neck expander ("belling" die), and a seater/crimper.

With rifle cartridges, if you are loading jacketed bullets you don't need to expand the neck, just a slight chamfer on the inside is all you really need. That's why no third die with most rifle sets. If, however, you are loading cast bullets (which are always larger in diameter than their jacketed cousins), then you do need to expand to prevent shaving, collapsed necks, etc.

Many bolt and single shot actions will allow you to necksize your brass, working only the case neck for most loadings, and significanlty increasing your case life. There are three different kinds of neck size dies: conventional, collet, and bushing. As all bottleneck cases require lubing for Full Length sizing, neck sizing can save you time and mess when you can do it in addition to the greater case life.

Lastly, many loaders prefer to seat bullets and crimp in two separate operations, so they set up their seater dies so that the die's crimp shoulder doesn't come in contact with the case. Not all rifle rounds need to be crimped, and when you have a choice, you try it both ways and see which is the more accurate. When needed, they then use a different die (like a factory crimp) for the next operation. Both ways work, it's more a matter of personal choice. If, however you need to crimp and the bullet you are loading has no cannelure, then you cannot use the seater's roll crimp and must use a separate factory crimp. The other argument in favor of the extra die is that when you are experimenting with how much crimp to use, with only one die you must also readjust your seater every time and that can be a real PITA.

retired PO
10-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Thank you.... I enjoy reading your responses,... they are always informative and give the reader a sense of confidence...
thanks again
dave