PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys looking for 460v Data

darthdave22
07-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Hi everyone this being my first post I must say that I have looked everywhere for data first and Im not trying to be lazy BUT.....[smilie=l:
My dad-in law has recently purchased a S&W 460v and I have the Hornady 250g XTPs for it and I dont know were to start with powder! I load alot of rifle and 45 acp is the only pistol I do so I am unfamiliar with pistol powders in general. Anyone have any data or powder preferences? I have looked at a few reloading manuals and I own a couple but none of them have any 460v data in them. I am really looking for basically factory max data to work my way down from. Thanks so much!

Guesser
07-03-2010, 01:16 AM
The Hornady 250 XTP is not up to 460 Pressures, or 454 Casull either for that matter. if you are going to load the 454 or 460 to optimum performance levels with Hornady bullets use the 240 or 300 XTP/MAG bullets, they are designed for the high pressure levels of the two "HOT" cartridges.
Good shooting!!!!!!!

darthdave22
07-03-2010, 02:08 AM
well then I know I can cast some lead and get some gas checks so I will just find some load data for those instead. Its almost not worth reloading at all when you have to but the ballistic tip hornadys for the 460. yay lead!

versifier
07-03-2010, 05:13 PM
There is no reason you can't use up those bullets as long as your loads for them aren't too hot. While they are not up to higher pressures, if your revolver likes them, you can use them with .45LC data in .45LC, .454Casull, or .460S&W cases. In fact, given the recoil of an unported .460, it might be a smart thing to do for starters to get used to the revolver with them before working up to the .460's recoil and performance with bullets of heavier construction.

Remember that not every revolver does well with cast bullets. If you run into problems, you will need to slug the cylinder throats (all of them), the forcing cone, and the barrel (measuring bore and groove diameter in a 5groove S&W barrel takes some creative work). Even in brand new revolvers, throats are seldom consistant as to their size and can ruin accuracy with cast while not affecting jacketed bullets in the slightest. Throats should be .001-.003" over groove diameter (the same as your cast bullets), likewise the forcing cone. Many revolver barrels get constricted where they are threaded into the frame, too. The first two are easily remedied by a relatively inexpensive trip to the gunsmith, the third can be dealt with at home with a lot of hand lapping.

After you have dealt with any potential revolver related issues, then you can think about the cast bullets themselves. You will want to avoid the use of really soft alloys, but should not go too hard for hunting ammo to still get some expansion. The standard rifle hunting bullet alloy of straight wheel weights should work nicely. You can cast your target ammo as hard as you want to as long as you size your bullets correctly. Any cast bullet even slightly undersized has the potential to lead up your barrel pretty well with hot loads. Leading near the breech indicates bullets too small/too hard and up near the muzzle too soft/too weak. For removing lead fouling I suggest Rig #44 solvent and for really serious lead mining operations, order a Lewis Lead Removal Tool from Brownells (they are caliber specific).