PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Powder

Dakbroadbent
05-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Hi Guys
I've been loading 38 special with Bullseye and 45 ACP with Unique for 50 years and been happy with that. But for the last few years I have been shooting at an indoor range with marginal air flow, and rapid fire with those powders has me shooting thru a smoke cloud. A friend suggested Winchester 231 as being much less smoky and I have been trying that; not much better :(
Can anyone suggest a powder for these cartridges that will help me with this problem?

Guesser
05-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Are you using cast bullets? If you are, a great deal of the smoke will be coming from the lubricant on the bullets. I shoot cast bullets and I get smoke no matter what powder I use.

Dakbroadbent
05-13-2010, 03:01 AM
You suggested that the cast bullet lube was making all that smoke and not the powder. today I loaded up a bunch of 45 acp jacketed bullets with 231 and shot up a storm at my local range. No smoke cloud!! Thanks for the tip, appreciate it! It has been years since I shot jackets in a pistol I was blind to the effect.

Guesser
05-13-2010, 02:15 PM
I like my cast bullets, I seldom shoot jacketed. For me, smoke is part of getting a good bullet at a good price and good performance. Glad you have pin pointed the source.