PDA

View Full Version : .41mag. loading data?

skimmerhead
04-18-2010, 08:15 PM
it seems loading data for this cal. tryed hornady, lyman, lee all current editions. very little data on cast boolits. been looking around but not successful. want to load 210gr swc, i have unique, 2400, titegroup, lilgun, autocomp, hs6, h110, 296. could anyone tell me where to find this info. thanks

skimmerhead:roll:

versifier
04-19-2010, 02:08 AM
Use jacketed data for bullets of the same weight (within 15gr). Jacketed and cast handgun data is pretty much interchangable. Hotter loads may need gas checks to prevent leading.

skimmerhead
04-19-2010, 02:30 AM
thanks wasn't sure i could didn't want to risk it without asking some one first. thanks

skimmerhead

versifier
04-19-2010, 04:28 AM
Just be aware that some revolvers may need to have the cylinder throats opened up to shoot cast accurately. Bullets should be .411-412". Lube choice usually isn't critical with revolver loads unless you are shooting very hot loads, but size always matters. Some revolvers are picky about the bullet profile, too, so if everything is the proper size and it still won't shoot accurately, try different profiles and weights before considering smithing it.

If you are getting leading, especially near the breech, with light loads, remove the cylinder and slug the throats (all of them, they are never all the same, drive from the breech), forcing cone (just drive the slug until its base is flush with the mouth of the FC), and barrel (drive the slug in the muzzle about an inch with a wooden dowel then drive back out the way it went in). Measure with a mic, not a caliper. Throats should be larger than FC which in turn should be equal to or larger than barrel's groove diameter.

Many revolvers don't have any problem at all, but if yours does, that's how you figure out how to get it shooting properly. Undersized and/or inconsistantly sized throats will shoot jacketed bullets accurately, but will make shotgun patterns with cast and lead up the bore like undersized bullets will (they get sized down as they pass through the undersized throats). Occasionally you will get a revolver that will be an exercise in frustration to get figured out, but with patience it can be done.

kg42
04-21-2010, 03:26 AM
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Keep an eye on Lil'Gun, it is getting a reputation for eroding forcing cones real quick, something to do with too much nitro for a slow powder.
It might affect mostly stainless guns but I would be cautious.