PDA

View Full Version : .38 super

skimmerhead
04-07-2010, 04:29 AM
i'm kinda thinking of buying a semi-auto in this .cal for maybe just a fun gun to shoot. after shooting a 100rds or so of .454casul .460mag and .500mag. i was thinking something with less recoil.does anyone out there have any info on this .cal? and agood gun to shoot it with. thanks

skimmerhead

kg42
04-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Hahaha ! Did you buy these three guns at the same time? Sorry, but I have to tease you some...;)

It doesn't sound like you are reloading your ammo so the 38SA will cost you more than the 9mm to shoot... (but probably less than the above three...:)) You could also put together plinking loads for your magnums.

For the 38SA, I can think of three guns: 1911 GVT and Cie, Tanfoglio Witness and older Sig 220 made in North America.
You can also convert any 9mm 1911 with a new barrel and mag. If you find a GVT/Commander originally chambered for it the barrel fit might be poor enough that you will need a new one anyways.

I've been thinking about that caliber myself lately, as it is close to impossible to recover 9mm brass at my range. Hopefully nobody will grab or throw away the longer brass...

My current plan is to rechamber a 9mm Tok/Nork barrel and use 7.62 mags; but you should easily find affordable Armscor/RIA or used 1911's to play with.

kg

skimmerhead
04-08-2010, 04:40 AM
thanks kg42 i really don't know much about this cal. and won't buy a gun for it until i do some research on it. i didn't buy all three at the same. but you sure made me laugh with that one! back on the serious side i shoot 454casul out of my 460mag and load reduced recoil loads for the range, cause don't think i could shoot that many full loads! but i also shoot .38spl .357mag 9mm .40cal .44spl .41mag .44mag .45acp .45lc. i think i'm just looking for an excuse to buy another gun. well thank's for the info.

skimmerhead8-)

kg42
04-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Allriiiight... You were looking for 41 brass a while ago...
This might interest you:
http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/41%20Special.htm
http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt41spec.htm

Roky Raab said on Castboolit to use his heavier loads as is in the magnum case.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=49869&highlight=Special
(I am not aware of Cowboy/reduced data for the 41; maybe if Hornady have a swaged bullet they will offer data below 1000fps.)

Back to the 38 Super, if you ever have difficulties finding brass, the 38 Supercomp and usually 9 Supercomp/9x23 and 9 Largo brass can be used.
The 38's chambers and brass should be pretty straight, while the 9's have a fatter head about .392.

kg

skimmerhead
04-09-2010, 02:39 AM
thanks for the info. kg42 i will check out this info i'm sure it will be helpful, don't know what to say except Thank you! youv'e been a lot of help, i hope to one day return the favor.

skimmerhead

skimmerhead
04-10-2010, 02:50 AM
hi there kg42 been doing some research on this and i think maybe i should still try to find an excuse to get another gun, just a different caliber! let's see maybe .327mag, well more research to do!

skimmerhead8)

kg42
04-10-2010, 03:39 AM
The 327 is a bad caliber, prohibited in Canada, as it is a 32. The 7.62 Tok, the 7.63 Mauser and the 7.65 Long (French), on the other hand, are only restricted, as they are, well, I suppose, not pocket guns....unless their barrel doesn't top 105mm, which makes any handgun a prohib....
Just some trivia that your research might overlook...

So my guess is that you will get a 327 now... hope you'll find brass for it :mrgreen:

skimmerhead
04-10-2010, 05:43 AM
not familar with B.C. gun laws, why is it prohibited if you don't mind me asking?

skimmerhead

skimmerhead
04-10-2010, 06:38 AM
i really enjoyed the roky rabb,s work on the .41spl. it was awesome, what a gun! and to think the condition he got it! KG i forgot all about the 38super. sounds like more fun since i love wheel guns over auto's. more research! Thank's again KG42

skimmerhead:razz:

kg42
04-11-2010, 12:35 AM
not familar with B.C. gun laws, why is it prohibited if you don't mind me asking?
skimmerhead

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/prohibited-prohibe-eng.htm

The prohibited class is an attempt at prohibiting... dangerous guns, that you can hide easily or shoot full auto as well a a host of black and red guns which look like they might shoot full auto; apparently semi auto shotguns, etc..
The AR-15 is only restricted. Other new similar new models might be restricted until it is found more appropriate to prohib them; a couple of distributors have been caught with such products at customs time.
Prohib acquisition licenses are grandfathered only(you had such guns before the new laws), so the market can only shrink.

Now about buying a new gun, it's too bad that you don't like semis, I would have sent you to southernohiogun ...[smilie=1:

skimmerhead
04-11-2010, 03:08 AM
thanks again!

skimmerhead

kg42
04-11-2010, 10:28 PM
You're welcome :)

kg

skimmerhead
04-12-2010, 03:46 PM
hey K G how your doing? i followed up on rocky rabb article on the wildcat .41 he gave me really great info on trimming cases with equipment i have and dies, so i'm gonna give it a go. he was very helpful as were you, it's great to have good people that are willing to help and share there knowledge with a stranger at the drop of a hat. i think this world could use a lot more of that! Thanks

skimmerhead

kg42
04-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Hi there

I found a few posts by Rocky on Castboolit (searched Kword=special, user= "Rocky Raab" ), he had spectacular improvements for sub-1000fps loads with the short case.

This reminded me of how easy it was to find good hot subsonic loads in 38Sp cases compared to the longer 357 ones.
On the other hand, I hardly ever used 44Sp; but I will seat the bullet deeper, with the front band flush with the case. With some designs it comes close to cutting 1/10 in oal... You get better neck tension and you only have to re-set your seating plug.

When you are done with that project, you could look at the 41 Nonte (cut down and grooved 41 brass used in a relined 1911 auto...) or JDJ's 41 Avenger :)

stevespages.com/jpg/cd41avenger.jpg

skimmerhead
04-16-2010, 03:08 AM
hi KG just read your post. been offline a couple days, computer was in hospital, diagnosis was! the dummy on the keyboard. will check out the info thanks

skimmerhead:roll: