PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the 7mm Remington Magnum

konrad
03-31-2010, 05:42 AM
I have recently been kicking around the notion of a 7 mm Remington Magnum chambered rifle.
The test reports on both the Savage 111 (Acutrigger and Acustock) and the Mossbergs look very interesting, particularly for the price.

I am not looking to win any beauty contests or WOW the boys at the range with my buying power. I just want something accurate.

Any input would be appreciated.

cratergrease
03-31-2010, 03:35 PM
The 7mm rem mag is a fine and accurate cartrige, but you may want to consider a few things before getting one, If your going to use it primarily for hunting white tail deer you may be a bit over gunned, the higher velocity at impact translates into more meat damage, generaly mags have more recoil, which can and often dose cause flinching or anticipating the recoil which often causes accuracy / shot placement problems, mags "might" be able to shoot farther but here again accuracy is the key, if you can't shoot cosistantly accurate at 200yds you won't be any better at 300 yds, ammunition availabilty and cost, chances are you wouldn't have problems finding ammo in larger sporting goods stores, but if you were hunting in say Woodtic TN. that maybe the one shell they don't have, and usually mag shells come with a premium price as well, If you reload and have access to a ballistic generator, and you compared with a 280 rem, the 7mm's little brother, if you keep all things equal ( bullet wt, powder type,zero dist.) you'll most likely find your not going to get that much more distance for the extra powder you'll burn. Hope this gives you somthing to think about, don't get me wrong, I don't have any ill feeling towards Mag rifles, but I know some hunters that think mag is short for magic, and its skill that puts more meat in the freezer.

versifier
03-31-2010, 04:50 PM
I think it depends on what you're going to use it for. There are better target cartridges for sure. For big game hunting, it matters most at what ranges and what game you'll be going after. You don't say where you're from, so there is no clue to be found. If you're deer hunting where the brush is thick and the shots aren't far, it doesn't make much sense. If you are after larger game, then it might be a workable option. Likewise if you're hunting where the ranges are much longer, but as cratergrease pointed out, it isn't magic, you have to put the time in practicing at extreme ranges and ammo for it can be hard to find and expensive when you find it. If you are loading your own, then it becomes a much more versatile round as you can load it down to 7-08 velocities for closer shooting and deer sized game or shoot full throttle for up to 3-400yd shots at deer, bear, elk, moose. Of all the magnums suitable for bigger game, it is probably the easiest on your shoulder, comparable to an -06 in a similar weight rifle. There are a lot of component choices in 7mm, too, almost as many as .30cal, so there are plenty of different bullets available for whatever you need.

If given the choice however, I would more likely choose a .280 as it is good out to 300yds or so, is almost as versatile, the brass is cheaper, easier to find, easier to make, and will last a lot longer. The belt on the mag cases can often shorten case life considerably, and I like the idea of being able to run an -06 case into a .280 die and having a relatively unlimited supply of cases. But, the difference of 300 hundred fps (with a 140gr bullet) between the two would matter more if elk or moose were involved and the ranges were extreme, then I would choose the magnum.

konrad
04-01-2010, 05:21 AM
I have owned the ’06 in a few versions but always tend to gravitate back to the 375 H7H.
Whatever the ’06 can do the 375 does better.
I feel quite comfortable out to 300 yards with both of my “Multi-Purpose, Eargishplittenloudenboomen” but was kicking around longer shots on an upcoming elk hunt.

This is all the result of watching “The Best of the West” programming.
My wife asked, “Why don’t you have a 7 Mag?”
I thought it was a good question and besides, there is always a little more room in the safe.

I tailor my own ammunition and don’t seem to be too bothered by recoil (at least for the first 20 or so).
I even have a 7-08 but they just don’t launch a large enough projectile for Wapiti at range.
It’s the 300 to 500 yard possibility I keep thinking about.
Mountains of Idaho…
Maybe I should just stick with what I know works and sneak a little closer?

I just seemed like good fun and another excuse to go to the range…Hey Honey, I’ve got to got test these loads…

Drummer Boy
04-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Hope you dont mind me dropping in my two cents worth. I am new at this online chatting stuff so bear with me. I have been tossing around the idea of a 7mm mag myself and I think the 7mm mag is a great choice if you are planning on hunting large deer at ranges over say 350 yards but up to that range the smaller 7's (280,708,7x57 etc.)will serve you well. I have taken mature fallow bucks up to 340 yards with my 7-08 using 140gn sierra bt's and had complete penetration through the top of the boiler room. I think the 7mm mag is a very versatile case that you could load to what ever you wanted to use it for. I for one am still undecided as I havent been let down by the little seven yet. Maybe I just want a new toy.

runfiverun
04-15-2010, 10:14 AM
i generally try to stay out of these discussions.
but i live and hunt in idaho.
i do get chuckeled at when i say that i spent the money on a mostly custom, push feed,model 70.
7x57 ackley for deer and elk hunting.
i shoot the awesomely huge 139 gr hornady interlock.
at the very downloaded speed of 2850 fps.
i tried the bonded stuff at 3k, it makes a mess.
i'll take the two holes and the walk over, everytime.

oh yeah, drummer boy, welcome.

Drummer Boy
04-15-2010, 10:45 AM
I have owned many a rifle in my 30 or so years of hunting and i always go back to the one i feel most confident shooting which is the 7-08. All my stuff is custom built these days but i have had a good look the Browning X bolt and for a factory rifle especially in the Hunter model they are pretty good value for money. Even down here in Australia where a good rifle will cost you well over $1500. all the reviews so far have been very good. You wont go wrong with a Ruger Hawkeye either...very tough..very reliable...and respond well to minimal tuning. So i also consider them great value. I have seen many new Mossbergs Savages and although they all shoot well their price does reflect their quality also. Hope this helps.

Drummer Boy
04-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Any luck with your your 7mm mag rifle research Konrad?

konrad
04-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Yes indeed, I conducted an informal survey on this and 4 other firearms related web-sites and came to the conclusions:

1: A factory rifle of modest cost will be able to hit “large deer at up to 500 yards” quite well. My target group being a 5 inch circle.

2: The suggested projectiles all fall within the 160 grain category.

3: The Savage platform, far and away, received the most votes for “Best Bang for the Buck”.

Even if I do stick with my tried and true 375 when it comes to actual hunting, the 110 Savage in 7mm Remington Magnum would be a fun rifle to play with at extended ranges. I think there is just enough room in the safe…

Drummer Boy
04-30-2010, 08:25 AM
So whens the new 7mm mag coming.? I would be interested in hearing how you go with the Savage. I am hearing such good stuff down here about the Savage, and the Browning X-Bolt as well. I know that they differ in price a bit but at the moment I am leaning towards the Browning for the 7 mag. Barrels are becoming so expensive here and ordering from the US is a very long term proposition.. I dont fancy waitng 18 months for a barrel from say Douglas or Shilen so it looks like I will be going for something off the shelf for the first time in Fifteen years. What type of projectiles are you planning to reload for the 7mm?

konrad
04-30-2010, 02:35 PM
Hello Drummer,

I’m sorry to say the 7 Mag project has been temporarily shelved (medical bills…everyone’s OK…I think the doctor wants to buy a new Corvette).

I did manage to squeeze in a new Leupold 3 X 9 scope for one of the other rifles before the hammer dropped. I haven’t even made it to the range for testing on that one, yet.

You guys will be the first to know when the 7 happens.

I promise!

Drummer Boy
04-30-2010, 11:26 PM
Hope all is OK mate.

casullman
05-02-2010, 01:03 PM
More food for thought ; IMHO the 7mm is very versitile but short cases dont load (good) with long projectiles and mag actions cost more to load so if your shots will be generally under 200 yds go with a 7mm-08 , 280, 7x57, 7mm wsm or even 284 win but to go long distance a rem,weatherby,stw or rem ultra will give more pepper way out there but for certain barell life is about half as much. The savage 114 is all the beautiful thing any browning is only it will most likely shoot better and the trigger action wont feel like your dragging it thru gravel before it the hammer drops just my HO

BigOtto
05-01-2011, 05:55 AM
I agree with casullman on the smaller 7MM cases. less recoil, less bang and with the good BC of the 7MM bullets it's all you need . Now if you're shooting down a power line or a canyon The 7MM mag could really pay off in range and trajectory.

Tom W.
05-03-2011, 02:12 AM
I have one . A Ruger #1B, with a Moyers trigger and a Limbsaver. I shoot 150 Ballistic Silvertips from it, and it does quite well for itself. However, I'm not shooting elk or mule deer, so it probably isn't "needed." But it is "wanted."

303tom
05-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Yeh my little brother has a 7 mag. I am here to say that my 7mm-08 does almost the same damn thing with a whole lot less hurt ! ;-)

Tom W.
05-05-2011, 01:26 AM
Mine doesn't "hurt." Not yet, anyway..

05-08-2011, 02:12 AM
I don't know if anyone will read this but I have a 7mm Rem. Mag. in an encore and I took an elk at 584 yds. last year and have taken alot of deer at 600 to 650 with it. I reload all my shells and I own a 900 yard range so I make the time to go and shoot. I use 140 grn bullets for most but I used 175 on the elk and it was a bet I had with a freind for us to use ower 7mm this time. I have been hunting elk twice before but used a 300 Win. Mag. with 220 grn bullets. Never though of using the 7mm for anything but deer and hogs.
If you are like the Mairnes one sho- one kill I would get the Encore but that is me. I have 5 frames and more than 15 barrels but have serval other guns that I love to shoot too but have copied alot of them in encores.
Earl

BOOM BOOM
06-19-2011, 05:41 AM
HI,
I have both a 7MM/06 & a 7MM MAG.
I do shoot the 7MM/06 more, I load it with a 145gr. SPBT, AT 3050'/S. It was built on a Mauser Mark X action. It is my deer rifle. 3/4" groups at 100yds. And in my collage days on Every other sat. I would shoot 100 rounds at a steel plate 12"wX17"h at 600yds. for a 80% hit rate. I felt it would kill reliably at that range.

The 7MM MAG is a Remington 700, I load it with the 162gr. SPBT Hornady AT 3050'/S.
It is my elk rifle. 3/4" groups at 100 yds., on the other Saturday I would shoot 100 rounds at the steel plate, for a 80hit/100 rounds.
Same scope, ballistic twins, same stock shape.
For deer past 600yds. the Mag is what I took. That does occur here in Utah, in some places.

Yes, I played with j-bullets of 110grs to 175 grs. You can get 220gr. bullets for the 7MM. It would work for Moose, & bear if I got the chance. As well as long range Antelope.
Have shot both with cast boolits. For which the 7MM/06 is better suited, fun for rabbits & squirrels.

Paul B
06-24-2011, 02:40 PM
I think the 7mm Rem. mag. would be a good choice considering where and what you want to hunt. As you say you're comfortable with the .375 H&H, the 7 mag. will seem like a pussycat.
Personally, my choice would be a .300 Win. Mag. More punch way put yonder. The last elk hunt I did in Arizona, I dropped a nice fat cow elk at 530 yards, laser measured with my .300 Win. Mag. shooting a 200 gr. Speer Hot-Core at 2930 FPS at the muzzle. Three months of solid practice at the range, every week, sometimes twice a week on the range's silhouette range which allowed practice to 500 meters made the shot quite easy. The fact it was about 8 in the morning with no wind, a very slow walking animal and a good solid sitting position all went to making the kill simple. Normally, I don't like taking long shots. Kind of like Quigley. I don't have much use for longs shot. Doesn't mean I can't make one though. looking back over more than 50 years of hunting, I've only taken three long shots at game, one at 250 yards, laser measured, one at 427 paces, no laser measuring tools back in 1973, and the cow elk mentioned earlier.
You'll do just fine with a 7 mag. get it an have fun.
Paul B.