PDA

View Full Version : Time to get some Goats

d-o-k
12-26-2005, 05:41 AM
Just waiting for the Sun to go down a litte & then I'm going out to have a go at a Mob of Feral l Goats My younger brother (The Farmer in the family ) reported to me on the Back Blocks of our Place this morning ! His asked that I do something about them ! So I promised that the 30-30 & I would have a look at the problem today ![smilie=1: I just did'nt say when ! I just can't see the sence in going out in the heat if I'm not getting paid to hunt !

Dave

d-o-k
12-27-2005, 02:13 AM
Ah well no luck ! but it was the perfect evening for a Hunt! We ended up making a night of it & camped out for the night ! I'm really going to have to pull my finger out .As we cleaned our property up years ago & have not been troubled with goats for some years ! We're not about to let them back on now ! Mind you we did see several Emus wanderig about our Stubble Paddocks ,not in any numbers to become a worry at this stage but that can change overnight !I was going to go back up Nth Dogging again but I feel I might pick up some local culling ! I can only hope at this stage ! It would be nice to have about 12mths around the district!

Dave

dale clawson
05-18-2006, 02:44 AM
d-o-k: I used to shoot feral goats on a neighbor's ranch when I was a kid. We didn't eat goat and in the rough country they were in, I wasn't about to pack them out! I'm talking canyon country where the canyons run 75 to 80 feet deep, one after the other, with almost verticle walls and rattlesnakes in abundance. The cattle had a tough time making a living without having to compete with the goats for every bite. They were of spanish and Nubian decent and some of those old billies had some amazing horns on them. Farther south in the sheep and goat country where we sometimes leased deer hunting, the ranchers often invited us to take the goats they had missed in the fall gather for meat, we usually passed. On one occasion we had 2 boys 14 yrs. old that really wanted to shoot some goats. They finally located a bunch on a high bluff over the river, and open up like wwIII. When they ran out of ammo, they had about a dozen lying at the bottom of the bluff. They proudly showed off their game to their dads, who noticed the fence on the bluff and correctly concluded the goats were on the next ranch. They hunted up the rancher who charged them a premium for his "best breeding stock", maybe they were, but they lloked like ordinary goats to us. Those boys are men now, but they still haven't outlived that story.

d-o-k
05-19-2006, 05:20 AM
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Now that's what you have to call a OOPS !!!! Sounds like the country you were hunting is very much like where we live so far as the terrain goes ! It's that mountainess round here ! Most of us are born with one leg shorter than the other so we can stand straight ! Hell my mother used to bake Apple pies with apples grown on our place& the apples in the pie used to slide onto one side of the plate !:-D

Dave

lovedogs
05-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Wish I was there to lend a hand, d-o-k. Those goats would be a great place to test some ammo, bullets, and loads, heh? Not only that, goats turned over a fire and slapped between flour tortillas, slathered in salsa make good eatin'.

d-o-k
05-20-2006, 06:00 AM
Wish I was there to lend a hand, d-o-k. Those goats would be a great place to test some ammo, bullets, and loads, heh? Not only that, goats turned over a fire and slapped between flour tortillas, slathered in salsa make good eatin'.

Ain't nothing better than a young Goat cooked over the coals on a Spit basted with a Garlic & herb mixture ! It's enough to make a 3 day old courpse sit up & smack his lips! I've always refered to Goats as being the Poor mans /Kids Big game animal ! As with the abundance of large Game over here in Auz & open season on most of them ,the average shooter is not in a position to travel into the country where say Camels roam . Where as Goats are quite common & are found closer to the reach of our city bound Hunters ! Also the Goat makes a challenging Hunt for our kids round here & they quickly learn about bullet placement ect! I use goats for the testing purposes you mention & as a relief from work related shooting.

Dave

Canuck44
05-20-2006, 02:13 PM
MOrning DOK. I will take your word on the goats. Wife would take that cast on her arm and have my left ear touching my right if I brought home goat to cook. JUst might be the ticket to get me out of painting today. Will look for you to-night around 11:00 PM local time here. Edmonton OIlers won last night so the Universe continues to remain on plain.

I see your PM is over here doing his thing. Is he anti-gun as I am told he is.

Take Care

versifier
05-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Canuck,
Much of the "lamb" that is produced/sold in N. America is male kids(the four legged kind). Ground "lamb" is often mutton and/or chevon. I've raised and eaten plenty of both. No difference in taste if they've had the same feed, and the anatomical differences between a sheep and a goat don't add up to much when they're hanging side by side in the cooler. Raising sheep isn't the money maker it used to be, hard to sell wool. But there has been a big upswing in the popularity of goat milk and cheese products, and half the kids born are male. No one wants to keep a buck goat if you can help it, or at least not more than one. [smilie=f: She's probably brought home and cooked quite a bit of goat if she serves lamb regularly. I don't know if it would be a smart thing to tell her, that's your call. :mrgreen: