PDA

View Full Version : Loads for moly coated bullets

Horace Hogsnort
03-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Its my understanding that moly coated lead bullets have their own load data. My reloading bench sports a box of 500 225 gr. moly coated lead bullets I'd like to get loaded up but I'm having trouble finding the right realoading data. Can anybody point me into the right direction.

versifier
03-15-2010, 03:40 AM
Welcome to the Guide.

I'm not into moly, but have never heard that there are any differences in the loading data. There aren't for jacketed bullets. I'm assuming from the weight you are talking about .45 cal handgun bullets? I have never heard of anyone moly treating handgun bullets before, nor can I see any advantage at all to doing it to cast bullets, rifle or handgun. Give us some more information please.

runfiverun
03-15-2010, 02:17 PM
start with regular cast data.
in jacketed the moly bullets usually require more powder to make equal velocity.
with moly coated cast there really isn't a gain as the lead is more slippery than a jacketed to begin with.
my friend moly coats most all his cast and sometimes has a very hard time getting an accurate load.
the 225 gr designation could be for a 44,45 358 win 35 rem 8x57,338,heck i shoot 250's in my 357 max revolver.
but regular data will suffice.