PDA

View Full Version : primer pockets inconsistant

casullman
02-28-2010, 01:44 PM
I am on the 3rd or 4th loading and some of my primer pockets are getting tight (a few are REALLY tight) I have been looking at uniformers and reamers and it seems to me that a reamer cuts the sides and the uniformer cuts the seat but it looks as if the uniformer will also cut the sides but I am not sure. Any insight would be appreciated thank you

versifier
02-28-2010, 04:47 PM
If the pockets come from the factory too small in diameter or too shallow, a uniformer will cut bottoms and/or sides depending what is needed to bring the primer pockets to spec and they have stop shoulders on them to prevent the removal of too much brass. Usually you use the tool once when the brass is brand new. Reamers are a kind of uniforming tool that are usually used to take the crimp out of military cases (you can also do that with a swaging tool).

If the pockets are getting tight, they probably just need cleaning, but a uniforming tool will do that and get all the crud out without removing brass. The only time I bother to clean primer pockets is when I have trouble seating. It is not hard to go too far with some cleaning tools and remove too much brass - I killed a batch of .357 cases that way when I first started loading, so you have to pay attention to what you're doing. These days instead of digging out one of several cleaning tools I have bought over the years I just use a small screwdriver to get the crud out as it is just as quick and effective.

Many loaders rely on tumblers to clean primer pockets and I have heard they do a decent job on them with the correct media, but I flatly refuse to have a case tumbler in my house and have never used one in the thirty-five years I've been loading ammo.

runfiverun
03-01-2010, 02:32 AM
versifier
you need to look into an ultrasonic cleaner.
when i am doing military brass i use a primer pocket depth tool it tells me when i have enough crimp removed.
i have also heard about somee types of rifle brass that gets tight primer pockets after the first firing.
privi comes to mind.
s&b has tight pockets to begin with.

casullman
03-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks guys for your insights I will try the uniformer as I too do not use a case tumbler. Having said that, an ultrasonic cleaner might be an applicable investment although I invision lots of whole numbers before the decimal.(it just sounds pricey)

versifier
03-02-2010, 02:14 AM
R5R,
It is probably the only workable solution if I wanted to clean cases, but if I got one I am not sure that with three daughters I would have it for long. Maybe I could rent time on it.... ;)

runfiverun
03-03-2010, 02:09 PM
they are a bit pricey but do an excellent job.
i recently went with an enclosed type case cleaner and i notice a difference already.
i am looking ionto ceramic media and a wet cleaning system.
the ultrasonics i have seen that were big enough for a decent amount of case cleaning have been in the 75 to 125 range but they are very efficient.

konrad
03-21-2010, 05:49 PM
The only time I have found primer pockets to “get tight” after a few firings was due to crud build-up.
I run all of my brass through a case vibratory cleaner (Dillon, out in the garage and on a timer…can’t stand the noise) using fine walnut shells (Dillon’s) and Dillon’s media treatment.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23660/catid/8/Dillon__039_s_CV_2001_Vibratory_Case_Cleaner__220_ v_Euro_

Even the large rifle pockets need an additional swipe with a cleaning tool (Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner). It removes no brass and sometimes you’ll find cleaning media stuck in the pocket. I inspect every case.
All of the small pockets get the cleaner after every trip to the tumbler as the walnut media does not seem to get into the pockets at all and crud builds up amazingly fast…
one shot=crud.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=467111

Dillon also offers a swaging tool to deal with military brass and the crimps therein. I am sure this tool can be used on standard brass to provided uniformity, if this isn't a hygene issue.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25263/catid/8/Super_Swage_600

I don’t want to sound like a Dillon ad but their stuff works and they stand behind the products they market.