PDA

View Full Version : Resize New Brass?

fishnbob
02-17-2010, 11:09 PM
I just signed on and I'm sure this has been hashed over many times. I usually create my own brass by shooting it up but I have bought a couple of new caliber handguns lately and when I went to buy ammo, there wasn't any of what I wanted, so I bought brass, lead & primers and then realized I didn't know whether to size new brass or load light & shoot. What do you guys do?:roll:

JJB2
02-17-2010, 11:19 PM
i've never sized new brass.... never thought much about it but it might make a better reload.............

LIFE IS SHORT.....

kodiak1
02-17-2010, 11:49 PM
I like to resize my new brass makes all the mouths of the cases round and they should fit in the chamber.

Just a quirk I picked up!!!!!!!!

Ken

versifier
02-18-2010, 04:40 AM
Welcome to the Guide fishnbob.

It never hurts and might help. Sometimes brass comes with dents and abused necks. Some rifle shooters will neck size all new brass to save the time and effort of lubing. With handgun cases, the belling die usually straightens the necks out just fine. Many will also trim a batch of new brass to insure its uniformity for crimping. At minimum, I will chamfer and deburr new cases, and I will size them if it looks like they need it.

runfiverun
02-18-2010, 06:33 PM
i usually back out my sizing die with new cases and neck size my revolver brass too.
if it's for a pistol it gets sized no matter what.
for rifles i size then trim [for max length] cut and whittle it down inside and out then fire it and re-check.
sometimes brass shrinks with the first firing,sometimes not.

kg42
02-19-2010, 12:53 AM
A few years ago a gunwriter found out that he was getting better groups when using them right out of the box. I still check (and chamfer) them, specially for neck tension.
About the groups size, I cannot afford to know that kind of information....:mrgreen:
kg

WallyM3
02-23-2010, 10:18 PM
I recently got my first .41 Mag and 1,000 cases. I found I pretty much had to size them in order to get consistent trim length.

Some .41 Special cases I got needed the works. :roll:

MR 8x57 js
03-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Ive found it's always good to full lenght resize new brass, no matter if it's revolver, pistol or rifle

howlnmad
03-12-2010, 11:42 PM
I run every case through the sizer and then they get trimmed. I feel it gives a nice, squared off mouth for uniform crimping. When that's done I de-burr the flashhole. Some say I'm OCD, I say it looks good on paper down range. :D

45knut
03-14-2010, 04:36 AM
Yes, for some reason I always resized them right oudda da box, for the little bit of extra effort it just makes me feel like all of the bases are covered!

konrad
03-17-2010, 04:39 AM
Tumble,
Measure to verify length (cut to “trim to” standard length),
Chamfer mouths,
Resize, load and have fun.

Ya’ gotta do it for the autos if you want accurate, well functioning loads.
Ya’ gotta do it for accurate revolver loads…different lengths =different chamber pressures (crimps are not all the same).

Err on the side of accuracy…

45knut
03-28-2010, 01:10 AM
In fact last week I was reloading 45 colt, I had 90 or so brand new Remington brass and 150 or so that had been shot all mixed together. But it was obvious which ones were new. While resizing I realized I was getting much more drag from the new brass than the previous fired. I guess the new brass wasn`t the same size as my die. hmmm :confused:

mikefrompa
04-21-2010, 01:17 AM
This is only my third yr. with reloading but everyone I know says you should resize new brass. The reason is that the brass might not be perfectly round or the brass might not be sized.

wistlepig1
04-29-2010, 03:46 AM
On new brass I FL size, trim ( have found a wide amount of lenghts in new WW brass including way under lenght and not useable), uniform primer pockets, deburr inside the flashhole---- I know I am alittle anal with new brass but it's worth it to me and it shows on paper and Pdogs. My 2 sents worth.

armyrat1970
05-10-2010, 09:03 AM
I recently got my first .41 Mag and 1,000 cases. I found I pretty much had to size them in order to get consistent trim length.

Some .41 Special cases I got needed the works. :roll:

What is the .41 Special?

versifier
05-10-2010, 04:57 PM
It's just a slightly shorter version of the .41mag, as in .38spec and .44spec. As far as I know it's still in wildcat or semi-wildcat status as no one has made production revolvers or single shots for it that I have heard or read about. I think the biggest hurdle to overcome is a crimping die for it (.357 and .44mag dies are both now made short enough to use with their spec versions but the .41's are not). One could have Lee make up a custom FC die fairly inexpensively to cure that, though.

BigOtto
05-01-2011, 05:42 AM
I size, trim , primer pocket and flashhole all new brass. I won't weigh it anymore. Just shooting deer anyway.