PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Luger Load Data

Kinker
01-25-2010, 01:20 AM
I am relatively new to reloading (long enough to go through some availability issues since the election) but brand new to this site. I have 3 reloading manuals and tend not to wander far from printed instructions. I recently received a couple of hundred "X-treme" 124gr FP (plated) 9mm bullets from a person who had given up on reloading. The web site for X-treme says to use load data for "cast bullets". I can find load data for 120gr, 121gr,124gr RN and125gr cast bullets. COAL data is different (no suprise) even if I were to try "close enough" with bullet weight.
As I said, I lean towards following instructions pretty closely, but I can't find load data for a 124gr FP cast bullet. So far, I have only used Unique powder (not that I couldn't get something else - powder is easier than primers).
Could someone offer load data? I have spent hours on the web trying to get a load sheet and can't locate. Shy of load data, a little guidance would also be appreciated.

versifier
01-25-2010, 03:26 AM
Welcome to the Guide.

Use your 124RN data, or data for 125 jacketed. It is always safe to use data for a slightly heavier bullet, and for most handgund rounds cast and jacketed data is virtually the same. (A cast bullet will have a slightly higher velocity and operate at a slightly lower pressure than a jacketed bullet of the same weight.) You're on your own as to OAL, but try to seat them as long as you can, making sure they will feed without problems. I have had very good results with Unique in 9mm.

runfiverun
01-25-2010, 05:25 AM
the plated bullets also need to be kept under 1100 fps or so. you can strip the plating off them.
unique will do fine, seat them out as far as you can reasonably do so.
and enjoy them, they say "data for cast" because the plated are just soft lead underneath and can
bump up,and strip through the plating.
not a big deal just something to watch out for.

MR 8x57 js
01-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Kinker
The 9mm Parabellum can be a trickey round to load, keep all your brass the same brand. The Speer #12 Manual show a 124 gr FMJ with Unique starting at 5.2 and max is 5.8 from a S&W 5906. OAL is 1.135. Hope this helps