PDA

View Full Version : Cast and Jacketed

casullman
01-06-2010, 12:03 PM
I have read several posts about cast instead of jacketed for hunting . I know there are pros and cons for everything but with so many superb jacketed products out there why cast? If this question has been answered in another post pleases direct me .

versifier
01-06-2010, 06:28 PM
I think a better question is: Why not?

One quick look at component prices isn't enough of a good reason? I can turn out plain based bullets for less than $.005 each and gas check bullets for about $.015 each. Performance is generally excellent, if, like with jacketed, you match the proper bullet (shape and alloy) to the game and the ranges aren't too long (less than 200yds).

Casting is a lot of fun to get into, too. It's always a good feeling to shoot a small group or a big deer with handloads, but it's even better when you do it with bullets you cast yourself.

Chuckbuster
01-08-2010, 01:05 AM
I have used jacketed bullets many times. Have always preferred the so called "Premiums" (NOSLER Partitions, HAWKS etc) even for situations that may not "call" for it, at least in many person's thinking. My reasoning was, if I am going to shoot something I am going to use every tool available to make the hunt successful. And what really is the difference between a $.15 bullet and a $1.00 as a % of the hunt cost?
HOWEVER, as versifier stated proper bullet etc. can give excellent performance or put another way, The Proof is in the pudding or pictures...

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l48/CBMJake/ShadyCoveBuck2009.jpg

.41Mag Ruger Blackhawk. 245 grain custom cast bullet from a mold my brother in law made. PRetty much same result/reaction if I had shot it in the same place with my 7 Mag and a NOSLER. Ran about 60 yards and fell down DEAD. Biggest difference is that I lost less than a pound of meat to "bloodshot"
Kevin

runfiverun
01-08-2010, 08:11 PM
since i am shooting them all the time anyways.
why clean everything up,load the jacketed,go down and resight the rifle then shoot a deer [maybe] then do all the sighting in again to return to cast?
when i can just make an alloy change or soften the nose and get the same results if i do shoot a deer.
or with my leverguns/revolvers, just grab what i always shoot and deer hunt with it.