PDA

View Full Version : R.E.A.L. Cast bullets

dnorris
12-14-2009, 04:26 PM
I would like to know if it is Okay to shoot .50 Cal. 250 Grain R.E.A.L. cast bullets after just lobing them with out gas checks? Does any one use these type bullets to hunt Deer with?
Thanks Don

Tom W.
12-14-2009, 07:23 PM
The R.E.A.L. bullet is designed to be cast with pure lead and fired from a muzzloader as cast without sizing, just using some soft lube like crisco or something similar.

versifier
12-14-2009, 08:41 PM
If you are asking about loading and shooting them out of a .500 S&W, they should be sized and lubed. Tumble lubing with Lee Liquid Alox, Johnson's Paste Wax, or White Lightning Lube will work fine. Even if it were possible to fit a GC on one, you wouldn't need it. I have no idea how accurately they will shoot out of a revolver or a Contender/Encore as I don't know what twist the barrels are, but if you drill a 1/2" hole through the boiler room of just about anything, there'll be meat in the freezer. No need for them to be very hard, either, as long as they were correctly sized, though I don't think I'd go with pure lead. Maybe an alloy of 3/4 pure and 1/4 wheel weights or 1/2 & 1/2 if you are getting any leading.

Out of a M/L, they work very well on deer, bear, and moose but still must be lubed before loading. T/C's Bore Butter is a decent lube, as Bama pointed out you could use Crisco, or if you wanted something less messy, you could even hand dip them in beeswax. You won't be able to start them very well unless you cast of pure lead, with maybe 1-2% tin added for good fillout if needed, but no more than that.