PDA

View Full Version : This years project

d-o-k
12-21-2005, 06:29 AM
I was talking to a grand Old gentle man of the Roo shooting industry the other day (his been shooting for 60+ years ) It turns out he has one of two Reemers that were built in .270-303 .Most people were of the opinion that only one of these reemers was ever built & was lost with the death of the Gunsmith who made it ! As it was never a widely advertised converstion (most being the standard .270-303 ) Nobody ever really pursued it! I've been offered the use of the said reemer to get it duplicated & to use it ! I've just got to find a decient Pat14 action ......Funny that. I know just were to find one. Could be two custom rifles this year I feel !

Dave

Toney
12-21-2005, 06:53 AM
sounds like a sweet shooting round, a lot like that new 6.8 round

I want a barrel chambered for 270-57 or 308. Seems like the 270 bullets work a lot better than the 7mm at the same speeds. The first rifle i reloaded for was a new england handi it would not eject nothing but mim loads. The load was 51grs of imr4831 with a hornady 130gr sp, at 2700fps it's a pretty good load stayed with it even after i got a bolt. The same load in my 7mm is like shooting with fmj. But i'm really thing about getting them hornady 170gr RN bullets for the 7 next

d-o-k
12-21-2005, 04:54 PM
The .25-303 was probarly the most popular converstion ever made. Though they came out from .22(about 5 types ) to 243,257,6.5,270 & there was & I only ever saw one though there were a few Built 35-303 . For many years they were avalible as a factory rnd from IMI,Riverbrand & Super (all nowdeflunct Australian Ammo companies .Most of the Younger Aussie shooters would ot remember these companies! Or More importantly the Bloody hard kicking Blue Star 12g ammo that IMI used to produce ! Or Civic .22 lr ammo ! Excuse a Old shooter. Having a flashback to another time .

Dave

kg42
12-22-2005, 01:17 AM
d-o-k, I should read the whole forum before I post.... I just asked you about that kind of thing in the reloading chat...
Thanks for the info anyways. Have you heard about improved .303?

Toney, I have a little info about the 270-08 somewhere (270 RCBS?) I'll look for it this evening.
If I remember the 7mm beats the 270 thanks to heavier bullets and has an edge over the 308 at long range thanks to a better ballistic coeff.
Of course that might not be the tickets for your hunts.

kg

d-o-k
12-22-2005, 06:03 AM
Kg Yes I've heard of the Improved vrsion of the .303 but I have yet to see one in the flesh as it were ! I belive it has less tapper & the Shoulder is Blown out some what .Apart from that I'm very vauge to it's perfomance

Dave

kg42
12-23-2005, 12:02 AM
Toney, my mistake, what i have is the entry for the 270 Savage in Cartridges of The World.
However reloadersnest has loads for the 270-08 Ackley Improved, as well as handloads.com

kg

versifier
12-23-2005, 03:36 AM
From what I've been reading over on the CB forum, the "generous" tolerances in the chambers of many old .303's had the shoulders sometimes moving up as much as 1/8" and more. Wouldn't that put many of them already up into the "improved" class? A few minutes playing with the calculator shows that case capacities are easily increased by 10% or more. :shock: I've been fascinated reading how to make them into real shooters by modifying the cases to make them headspace on the shoulders, expanding, chambersizing, fireforming techniques. The old timers around here always said some of them were tack drivers and some you were better off fixing the bayonet and throwing them at the deer like a spear. The pieces of the puzzle are beginning to fit together for me. Check it out under "Military Rifles", fascinating reading.