PDA

View Full Version : Titanium or scandium framed revolvers

onefunzr2
12-19-2005, 05:58 PM
I bought a Taurus Total Titanium (TTT) 5 shot revolver in 45 Colt for my CCW primarily as protection for black bears. I have a night job around the resorts in the Pocono mountains area where tourists tend to feed these critters so they have less fear of humans than usual. And some weigh in the 700 to 800 pound catagory. Well fed to say the least.

I have 225 grain cast lead bullets made from wheelweights with a little tin added for strength. They are from a Lee round-nose tumble lube mold I normally use in my 45ACP. I'd like to utilize these bullets as this gun will be carried much, but fired little. But if and when it is needed I'd like it to penetrate to the vitals if not through and through. I figure a hardcast lead bullet like this would do the trick.

As we all know, most gun manufacturers these days frown on the use of handloads. Well screw 'em! I intend on making up as powerful a handload as possible for this revolver. Taurus states that any factory load that does not exceed 900fps with a 250 grain bullet is safe in this titanium handgun but does not differentiate lead or jacketed.
There are more recipes for the 45 Colt than you can shake a stick at, running from wimpy cowboy action loads all the way up to 45 magnum hunting loads. Most are for either 250 or 255 grain bullets and a barrel length of 5 to 7 inches.

Anyway I thought I'd work up some trial loads. I used AA #5,
VV N-340, IMR SR-4756, and WW 231. The Winchester powder was the cleanest burning by far. Other powders I have on hand but yet to try are: AA #9, AA 5744, Bluedot, Herco, HS-7, VV N-320, PowerPistol and Universal Clays.

One recipe I found for WW 231 and a 225\230 grain bullet goes from 7.2 to 10.5 grains. No pressure or speed is indicated. As I worked up from the starting load I fired each 5 shot group over the Oehler 35 chrono using first my 45 Colt Taurus Raging Bull (RB) with 6" barrel then the Titanium 5 shooter with 2" barrel. I finally stopped at 10 grains even. Average speed for the RB was 1,085fps. The average for the TTT was 870.
No pressure signs or bullet jump. The empties (new Starline nickel) actually fell from the chambers of their own accord, same as with the starting load. I'd be happy to stop right here.

I know it isn't the perfect medium, but my liquid alox hardcast bullets penetrated
5 inches of dry phonebook at 15 feet. The bullets did not mushroom or deform. A slight smearing on one side of the nose is all.

So, my questions are:

1. Is there a relationship between cast and jacketed bullet load recipes?

2. If 250grain at 900fps is safe, what is safe for 225 grains?

3. Is 10 grains of WW231 over-pressure\over-power for this snubby?

4. If so, what IS a safe max for this alloy-framed pocket pistol?

Toney
12-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Welcome to the guide onefuzr2

The jacketed bullets shoot at a higher pressure than cast because the jackets are harder to push down the barrel

On no 2 there probably going to be pretty close

i'm not sure about the last two I'm really into the rifles myself just started casting for my 1911 clone this summer

versifier
12-19-2005, 06:25 PM
What did you mean by "hardcast"? What alloy are you using?

onefunzr2
12-19-2005, 10:44 PM
[QUOTE][/made from wheelweights with a little tin added for strength.QUOTE]

versifier
12-20-2005, 03:56 AM
Are you using a chrono or estimating the velocity from info in the manuals?

onefunzr2
12-20-2005, 12:49 PM
Oehler model 35 with screens 10' from muzzle.

versifier
12-21-2005, 12:34 AM
Excellent, you obviously know what you're doing. I just wanted to be sure you weren't from the "case ain't full yet so I'll add more powder" school of thought. (Sorry. I've been dealing with someone locally who can't understand why he can't load up his .44Russian to the magnum range if they shoot the same size bullets, but that's my problem, not yours! Maybe I should look for a deal on bp vests...) [smilie=1:
Anyway, to finally answer your question, the TTT should be able to digest full charge loads without mechanical difficulties, but for me, the limiting factor would be how much practice my wrist could take with the light frame. While you don't plan on shooting it much with your hunting loads, you still have to practice enough to be able to do the job when the time comes. The .45colt is a lot more shooter friendly than, say, the .44mag, but even in a heavy framed revolver, you still know it's going off with a full throttle load. (Even a .38spec with +p's can sting a bit when you touch them off in a Scandium or an Airweight J frame. Shooting a whole box of them isn't a pleasant experience.) Decent grips can and will help a lot, enough to make yours a practical plan. Consider a Hogue, or better still either a Pachmeyer Gripper or Presentation - the rubber gives a solid grip to help control the muzzle rise and takes some of the bite out of the recoil. I'd still lean towards the heavier Raging Bull though, given the choice.
I don't load the ww powder, so I can't advise on it. Herco, Unique, or Blue Dot all have their good points, though Blue dot will give you a bit more velocity/energy within safe pressure limits.
Where are you that the black bears get that big? 200-250 is about average around here, with the occasional monster going around 400....

onefunzr2
12-21-2005, 12:48 AM
This is a concealed carry gun for while I am doing my outside job at night in black bear territory. I believe the point of all this pleading for help for a load validation is moot at this time of December as the bears are already hibernating. I thought this venue just might yield some intelligent answers. Perhaps knowledgable gun people have not seen my thread yet. I'll go and try somewhere else.

PS...Versifier, The Taurus factory 'ribber' grips work fine the way they are and I get in plenty of practice. If it was bear or deer season I WOULD use my raging bull. But thanks anyway.

uncle joe
03-07-2008, 01:07 AM
I agree with versi
Be careful with the titanium. Iwork for a company that uses it and it's tough as it can get but man is it light feels like aluminum, it's got to have a mean recoil.