PDA

View Full Version : A old 223 case and a pocket knife.

Bullshop Junior
12-16-2005, 05:08 AM
This I made myself and works very well.

Have you ever taken a 22 out with round nose ammo, and shot a rabbit? The rabbit will usely run around the tree a couple of times and then fall down dead right? Then you take out a flat nose or H.P. and the rabbit will fall dead as soon as you pull the triger, right? Well I made a tool that I can fix that with. I took a old 223 case and cut it off at a place that if you take the ammo and put it in the tool the the tip just sticks out of the one side. I take my pocket knife and trim of the tip of the cartridge so it is flat, that makes the ammo a whole lot more deadly. Then I can take a drill and a bit and drill the flat part so there is a big H.P. in there and that litte bugger is explosive!!! I also sometimes just tack a normal H.P. round and drill the H.P. out bigger and that is also very explosive!!!

If you want I can post a picture.

DANIEL/BS JR.

versifier
12-16-2005, 07:52 AM
Yes, I'd like to see a picture of it. Sounds like a simple solution for a common problem. Foster makes a neat little hollow pointer attachment for their case trimmer, but I doubt if it would hold a rimfire case. As soon as I can get over to do some work on my friend's lathe, I'm going to make one that will fit on my Lyman trimmer.

Bullshop Junior
12-17-2005, 06:32 AM
Yes, I'd like to see a picture of it. Sounds like a simple solution for a common problem. Foster makes a neat little hollow pointer attachment for their case trimmer, but I doubt if it would hold a rimfire case. As soon as I can get over to do some work on my friend's lathe, I'm going to make one that will fit on my Lyman trimmer.

Versifier,
I will try to post you some pictures soon, we will be gone tomorrow and then Sunday is church. I will also post some pictures of the cartridge before and after trimming the nose.
DANIEL/BS JR.

d-o-k
12-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Great Ideas ! As Kids we used to buy solids ,for our .22lrs (as they were a hell of a lot cheaper & then we would cut a cross in the nose about 1/8 to 3/16 of a inch Deep to help em expand ! These new ideas are the way to go ! They make life easier[smilie=s: ! Now . As a Young Pro shooter we used to get .303 exmil ammo on the cheap .So it was a case of a set of side cutters & take about 1/8inch off the Nose (Yeah DUM-DUM em) ! Mind you many a New chum learnt the hard way that taking too much off left the jacket stuck in the Barrel :shock: So as they always say ...........Do'nt try this at home These men are /were Proffestionals! This was back in the Late 60's -early 70's & PH's had been doing it for years before as Good Ammo was hard to find Down here (esp good reloading componants)

Dave

krag35
01-10-2006, 02:34 AM
Versifier;
I have one of those Forester HP deals, been sitting in a box for 15 years or so now. It is almost impossible to get it to drill a HP in the center of the bullet. Besides drilling holes with a case trimmer just isn't what a trimmer is designed to do, it gets OLD real fast.
krag35

Secondhand Bob
01-01-2012, 02:05 AM
Krag35
You just saved me 20 bucks. It's on the wish list for my next order. Been looking at one for a long time and thought if Forester made it, it must be more ligitamate than it seemed.

Thanks
Secondhand Bob

303tom
01-02-2012, 04:55 PM
I make HP`s out of lead core FMJ`s all the time because they are cheaper & we can`t hunt with FMJ`s here has to have a exposed lead bullet.