PDA

View Full Version : a couple of questions about factory ammo

Bullshop Junior
12-16-2005, 04:30 AM
I am wondering what is your favorite brand of 22 ammo in the big bulk packets?

And what is your favorite brand shot gun ammo?

The 22 ammo is going though a marlin model:700 semi auto and the shot gun ammo i going though the S&W 916a. I have been using federal game shock and Remington duck and pheasant for the shot gun, and federal bulk in the 22. I am going to try to post later about the new 22.
DANIEL/BS JR.:?:

Toney
12-16-2005, 04:43 AM
I don't shoot much shotgun but my rem 511 likes the win xpert hollow points. Have been shooting a lot if Aguila Super maximum, they shoot a 30gr bullet at 1750fps with 204fp killed my fall turkey last year with one . Seems like they foul the barrel fast and they stink like burning rubber, but i don't mind cleaning

Bullshop Junior
12-16-2005, 04:51 AM
I don't shoot much shotgun but my rem 511 likes the win xpert hollow points. Have been shooting a lot if Aguila Super maximum, they shoot a 30gr bullet at 1750fps with 204fp killed my fall turkey last year with one . Seems like they foul the barrel fast and they stink like burning rubber, but i don't mind cleaning

Toney,
A man once gave me a box of ely 22 ammo when I had a single shot and I will tell you, for that price they should smell better then they do!!!!!! My old H&R leatherneck liked the federal bulk and it was the only thing that it would feed!!!!!! the gun shot the federals about 1/2 inch at the range that I would use them for rabbit and grouse.
DANIEL/BS JR.

versifier
12-16-2005, 07:17 AM
My 10/22 likes Federal HP's, my Contender likes Winchester Dynapoints. Whenever I get a new .22, I try to buy small boxes of every different kind that I can find in Wally World and all the gun and sporting goods shops that are within easy driving range, and whenever I see a new kind when I'm at those kinds of places, I'll grab some just to try it out. I probably have partial boxes of a dozen different varities in the ammo can right now. Every .22 is different - just because my 10/22 likes those Feds, it doesn't mean that yours will. The only way to know is to try as many as you can find and see for yourself what they will do. Out of my friend's 10/22, at 50yds a ten shot group with the same load that mine keeps under an inch looks like someone was patterning a shotgun with #4 shot. (His likes the same Wins that my TC does.) As both of mine are hunting guns, I stock up on the hps they shoot most accurately, but I note the solids that work well with them, too. Batch to batch, I've found both kinds to be fairly consistant, too, but I know match shooters will buy up all they can find of a certain batch when they find the right one - a neighbor that competes with his Rem match rifle snapped up 10,000 rounds of its favorite load a few years back.

d-o-k
12-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Ok I'm cheap !:twisted: It's mainly my kids who use the .22's these days & they can go through ammo at the rate of a gatteling gun on speed [smilie=w: So what ever happens to be on special goes through our .22lr's .At the presant time it's PMX /Highlander! It goes bang & kills rabbits & Crows !

Dave

1Shirt
12-25-2005, 11:29 PM
Toney, My 10-22 likes CCI Blazers and I can usually get them for under $10.00 a brick. Not as accurate as some of the others, but for tin cans and ground sq. they work just fine.
1Shirt

d-o-k
12-25-2005, 11:54 PM
G'day 1shirt & welcome to the site ! [smilie=s: .Hell:shock: !!! I wish we could get ammo that cheap down here in Aus ! I pay around $23.00 a brick for the Can killing ammo we use for the .22lr!!!!

Dave

Bullshop Junior
12-26-2005, 05:08 AM
I am paying 9.96 for the federal bulk of 550. and that was at walmart!! Fairbanks just got a new store and I am paying 3.00 for a box of shot gun ammo that I use to get for 6.00 at walmart!!!
DANIEL/BS JR.