PDA

View Full Version : 243 reload problem

medman
10-11-2009, 01:11 AM
I reloaded some 243 100gr Sierra Game Kings for a friend. I measured every case after sizing and again after loading (2.710) and all dimensions are correct. He called me tonight and told me that his gun (Remington Auto), won't automatically feed from the magazine after the first shot. What is the best next step to see if it is a reload problem or a gun problem?

rtracy2001
10-11-2009, 02:12 AM
Seems the best way to determine if it is a gun problem or reload problem would be to run some factory rounds through the gun. If those cycle, then the problem must be with the reloads.

If the loads are a problem then it gets more complicated figuring out what exactly the problem is.

medman
10-11-2009, 03:43 AM
I just got the gun, Remington7400. removed the magazine and watched the attempted load with the gun upside down, the bolt will not go forward completly. I am going to seat the bullet deaper and see if that fixes it.

medman
10-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Ok. Either i cannot read reload case size specs or the ones in Sierra's book are wrong. 2.710 is what is in the book. 2.59 is what it has to to seat at to load.WTF? Went back through and reseated all 40 rounds. 1:10 will not chamber. Took the whole gun apart and cleaned it, chamber is clean, no pits. Bolt face is good and guide rails are smooth. I put it back together and have the same results, same rounds will not fully chamber.

rtracy2001
10-11-2009, 02:40 PM
New brass or once fired?

Did you FL size?

Pick up a box of factory ammo with the same bullet weight and measure it, see if the load data is wrong (most of my books only give case data, not OAL.)

You may need to invest in a small base sizer die. sometimes the chamber of certain guns is on the small side of the tolerance band, and a standard sizer (which sizes to the middle of the band) is just too large.

versifier
10-11-2009, 04:17 PM
There is nothing wrong with the load data. rtracy has pinpointed your problem. You need to get a SB sizer to size the cases down to factory specs. It is not an uncommon problem with certain lever actions and many autoloaders, especially with Remington autoloaders. The return? springs on them aren't very strong and the bolts lightweight, so there isn't a lot of force available to chamber the round out of the mag.

A standard FL sizer will not return the case all the way down to factory specs. This is both to save wear and tear on the brass and because most rifles have chambers generous enough to work well. Hopefully a .243 SB die will not be too expensive, the more common ones like .308, .30-06, and .223 aren't. (Price one for a .300Sav and you'll choke.) RCBS stocks them if your regular supplier doesn't.

medman
10-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Thank you. I have not been reloading long only a couple of years and thought I was missing a step. I will check on the SB sizer RCBS.

versifier
10-11-2009, 09:27 PM
I first ran into the problem with the same rifle in .30-06 and have met others in -06 and .308 that have the same trouble, so I'm not at all surprised that a .243 has the same attitude. I never run into it with either my Garand or M1A, though some have, especially with match chambers.

My bro and friend's dad each have Sav99's in .300Sav that won't feed anything run through a standard FL sizer. No big deal fro my bro as his is a collector in 99% condition, but my friend's dad would shoot his a lot more if he could afford to. Neither one wanted to come up with the cash for the die, so they use factory ammo in them.

rtracy2001
10-12-2009, 01:44 AM
Hopefully a .243 SB die will not be too expensive, the more common ones like .308, .30-06, and .223 aren't. (Price one for a .300Sav and you'll choke.) RCBS stocks them if your regular supplier doesn't.

As of 10/11/09, RCBS.com sells the smal base dies for the 243 for $34.95 ea. The 300 savage is $42.95. Funy thing is, almost everybody else sells the dies for less. (MidwayUSA has the 243 SB for $33.95 and the 300 Savage for $37.49)

runfiverun
10-12-2009, 04:03 AM
your die may be too long in the headspace also i have had to grind a few thou off a couple of sizer dies before.

Guesser
10-12-2009, 08:13 PM
When it comes to a small base die, I have had to improvise a few times. I had a Savage 99 in 243 that had a tight chamber, factory ammo-OK, full length sized would not chamber, needed to load NOW!!! I had a 30-06 SB die on hand, I pulled the decapper/expander rod out of it and then ran the 243 cases in the Sb die and then ran them thru the 243 Full length sizer. It accomplished the needed down sizing to make the loads we needed with out buying a 243 SB die. Eventually I did upgrade to a 243 Sb set, but we got thru with a little ingenuity.

Milanodan
10-16-2009, 11:54 AM
2.710 is what is in the book. 2.59 is what it has to to seat at to load.WTF? Went back through and reseated all 40 rounds. 1:10 will not chamber. --- I put it back together and have the same results, same rounds will not fully chamber.

You should have the rifle available before you start reloading in order to set the bullet/land clearance correctly. If you use someone's load data they developed with a lot of clearance, and your reloads end up jamming the bullets into the lands, your pressures will be higher-possibly a LOT higher.

Also, are you making sure to screw the FL die down enough so the shell holder bumps it solidly? That will compensate for the elastic spring in the press.

medman
10-20-2009, 03:01 AM
Thank you everyone. Ordered the SB dies and they should be here this week. Is there anything "special" about using the SB sizing die?

Guesser
10-20-2009, 05:27 PM
No, set up and use is same as for a standard full length sizing die.
Good shooting!!!!!

OneShotNeeded
11-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Hey I know I'm new on here but I've been loading for a few years. Hopefully you've already figured out the problem but if not try this.
1) Make a dummy round with no primer,
2) Try and neck size them only. (only if these are from that firearms chamber)
3) See if just the case loads up. If so Proceed. If not try full length sizing. and repeat process.
4) If empty case loads up seat a bullet, and take a black marker, paint the bullet and chamber the round.
Check for rifling marks on the bullet. (marker will be rubbed off) seat bullet back till rifling marks are barely visable (if at all) Make sure they'll fit in a mag before you produce several rounds.

DKA
11-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Not sure how you have the dies set for resizing. Make sure you get a slight roll when resizing, but probably end up getting SB Die.