PDA

View Full Version : Primer and powder storage

shooter39629
09-22-2009, 01:44 PM
I am in the process of building an outbuilding and would like to know your opinions on storage of the primers and powders in an old defreezer to keep them from having a temperature flux. I have a dehumidifier to put in the building to remove the moisture. Do you think this will help to increase the shelf life of the primers and powders.

Howard

versifier
09-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Heat and moisture kill powder. Humidity kills primers. Keeping powder in its original container well sealed and storing primers in gasketed ammo cans with dessicant is the way to go to control unwanted moisture, and the dehumidifier is an big added plus. Your old refrigerator/freezer idea is a very good one to keep the temperature moderated and I know more than one loader in these parts that uses it successfully in sheds and attached garages. I am lucky enough to have a basement shop, so all I have to worry about these days is moisture.

shooter39629
09-22-2009, 05:32 PM
thnak you for your responce. Here in Mississippi we can be 100 F in the summer down to 20 F in the winter. I have noticed that if I put anything in an old deep freeze it keeps it in the 60 to 80 degree range depending on the time of year.

runfiverun
09-22-2009, 10:12 PM
you an add a light bulb in there too to help the warmth some.
just a little 7 watt type job in a freezer section will keep it pretty warm in there.
i had an out building or quite some time a bit of sealing and some insulation and it stayed warm in there through the winter with a little milk house heater and it added about 5 bux a month to run.
but it was warm in there when it was below freezing way below.