PDA

View Full Version : pistol brass neck belling

viappc
09-21-2009, 12:12 AM
I am a greenhorn reloader, and do not want to make too many mistakes, so here is my question for those who will humor me.

My first reloading experiment is the 9mm Lugar. My question is very elementary; how much belling should I induce on the brass? Should I only open the mouth enough for the bullet to barely fit ( 1/32") before seating the bullet? I would appreciate your guidance, anyone!

rtracy2001
09-21-2009, 04:18 AM
My understanding is that the mouth should be belled just enough so that is does not shave any material from the bullet when seating. This bell will vary depending upon the bullet (jacketed vs lead).

Don't bell too much or the case may not fit into the seating die.

Tom W.
09-21-2009, 06:48 AM
Yup, just flare the case mouth enough to barely accept a bullet..

Jim_Fleming
09-21-2009, 10:01 PM
viappc...

1/32nd of an inch would be FAR and AWAY too much belling of the case mouth.

Others have posted that you just want to bell enough to avoid shaving material from the heels of the bullets...

Since you seem to have an idea as to about what sizes are, you're going to want to only bell the case mouth about .004-.005 at the MOST over the heel of the bullet, and trust me .005 is going to be HUGE, with respect to seating bullets.

The idea is that you want to avoid overworking your brass, but more than that, you want to have the case walls gripping the bullet _tightly!_

I am a greenhorn reloader, and do not want to make too many mistakes, so here is my question for those who will humor me.

My first reloading experiment is the 9mm Lugar. My question is very elementary; how much belling should I induce on the brass? Should I only open the mouth enough for the bullet to barely fit ( 1/32") before seating the bullet? I would appreciate your guidance, anyone!

runfiverun
09-22-2009, 12:52 AM
i use just enough to sit the bullet straight up on the case mouth..