PDA

View Full Version : 45 colt

mthuntr
09-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Need some help on reloading for the 45 long colt. I have never loaded for this (or the 45acp) but my dad needs some ammo loaded for it. The question I have, is, I have bullets listed with a .451 diameter, I see on some info I have found, it lists for the Colt as .452...After asking a few questions at the sporting goods store, they told me what I have is fine to load in both the ACP and the Colt, but, I haven't been able to read it anywhere or verify it in any of my old reloading books, and Cabelas sells ammo actually listed for the Colt, as .452. The pistol he has is a Ruger, which, I have found on the Hogdens page, it lists different specs if you have a Ruger ot a TC. So I am a bit confused, and before I blow him or me up would like any and all info I can get, as I am a bit confused?? Btw, the bullets I have are jackets semi wad cutters 200gr.

runfiverun
09-20-2009, 04:45 PM
they should work fine in the acp or the colt.
for cast stuff i use 452 in my acp and in my newer 45 colts.
however for a ruger you would measure some things for cast.
jacketed will work even if it is just a bit too small as it will engage the rifling just fine.
just slightly roll crimp over the shoulder for the 45 colt or use the acp taper crimp and keep the loads on the lighter end,you'll be fine.
i have even used 200 swc's in my 45 colt lever gun for closer range shooting.

mthuntr
09-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks I appreciate that info...

Tom W.
09-21-2009, 06:57 AM
I have a Ruger and all of the jacket bullets I have are on the small side (.451) I usually load cast bullets sized to .452

kg42
09-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Your manual has loads for "regular" guns and for stronger guns (Ruger/TC).

Be careful as the latest Ruger, the New Vaquero falls in the regular section, due to lightest construction.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/html/Vaquero_Warning.htm
kg