PDA

View Full Version : Do primers make a difference?

elkhuntfever
09-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Can and how do primers make a difference in reloading accuracy. I have loaded up some .300 Wby using 180 grain Nosler Partition Spitzer. I have tried H1000 and RL22 and the gun likes the H1000 at 85 grains best. The primer was a Winchester LR magnum.

runfiverun
09-08-2009, 02:11 AM
in the way they burn.
the win and fed are two different animals one uses lead styphnate and the other uses aluminum spagnate.
if you fire a primer of each kind in the garage with the lights dimmed or off you will see the difference.
some types of magnum primers burn hotter others burn longer.
and this is where the difference in accuracy comes in it is the ignition of the powder.

Tom W.
09-14-2009, 02:01 AM
They make a difference in accuracy to me.

The Federal LR match primers get better groups in my rifles that when I use the standard primers. Some may disagree, but that's what I've found.

It isn't a lot of difference at 100 yards or so, but beyond that it makes a difference.

versifier
09-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Yes, they make a difference. More so in large cases and in cases where the loading density is lower than 40% (the powder level only takes up 40% or less of the available room in the case). But if you have them on hand, it never hurts to try a few different kinds just to see what happens with your different pet loads. Sometimes you get lucky and the groups tighten up, sometimes you don't and they open up, sometimes you break even and don't notice any change. There's no way to predict it in advance - the only way to find out is to try different brands with your loads. Always remember to back off the charge 10% and work back up whenever you change any component, most especially if you are using a fairly hot load as a different primer might put the load over the red line in your rifle.

odoh
09-18-2009, 05:57 AM
In my experience when I'm unable to develop an accurate load, I reach for Remington primers and invariably the accuracy issue is gone ! Seriously ~

Reloader357
06-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Yes, depending on the burning rate of the powder - i.e. slow burning powders and especially ball powders need a magnum primer to ignite uniformly.

Desertrat
07-11-2010, 05:41 PM
I agree with versifier....makes a difference...and be careful with your charge weights.