PDA

View Full Version : Who else uses older presses?

JJB2
08-08-2009, 02:05 PM
i use an old BAIR single stage press i bought from my bro in law several years ago.... the thing is a cast iron tilted c type press that's tough as nails.... i think it predates pacific....... i also use a lee single stage press right beside it with 2 sets of dies so i can use the presses at the same time for different reloading steps... works for me!!

LIFE IS SHORT.....

Guesser
08-09-2009, 06:36 PM
My Rockchucker is 30 years old. I use a Herters "C" type that is from the 50's, I don't know the model, I've got a handful of Herters shell holders for it so I haven't invested in the adapter to allow universal shell holders. My Lee challenger 2000 was new in 1985. All of them are good presses.

kodiak1
08-09-2009, 11:23 PM
I have an old three stage C&H press that I have used for 40 years.

Ken. :coffee:

kyhareraiser
08-13-2009, 08:54 PM
rockchucker by rcbs for me .. loaded a few rounds using it

MasterBlaster
08-15-2009, 08:21 PM
I have a really old one that a shooting buddy traded me for something about 25 years ago. Can't remember what i gave for it, nor do i know exactly what it is 9ain't labeled) but it works great. I use an old pipe for the crank on it.

M. Blaster

mold maker
09-06-2009, 12:16 AM
I started with a MEC 600 Jr about 47 years ago, followed by a Texan. The first rifle/handgun press was an RCBS JR, several years later. Since then Lyman, Lee, and several more RCBS presses have found a home on my bench.

dromia
09-14-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm still using, amongst others and old "lean back" Redding "C" press and a Wamadet, which I am very fond off.

rtracy2001
09-15-2009, 02:48 AM
I'm using my dad's old rockchuker, so that puts it just over 35 years old (mom bought it for him their first Christmas together). I also have an old size-master that i picked up in an estate sale. The guy bought it new in 74 for $90. My other shotgun press in an old Pacific press that i have no idea how old it relay is.

Nordicthug
10-20-2009, 10:49 AM
i use an old BAIR single stage press i bought from my bro in law several years ago.... the thing is a cast iron tilted c type press that's tough as nails.... i think it predates pacific....... i also use a lee single stage press right beside it with 2 sets of dies so i can use the presses at the same time for different reloading steps... works for me!! LIFE IS SHORT.....

I use a Pacific Super Deluxe C press I bought in 1963. Pacific predates Bair. If memory serves, the Bair Kodiak was the Pacific Super Deluxe painted brown with BAIR on it instead of PACIFIC. Anyway I paid $17.95 for it at Gov-Mart Bazaar in South Seattle in 1963. At the same time I got a set of RCBS .30-06 dies, a shell holder, and a Redding powder scale. The salesman threw in an RCBS case lube pad and a bottle of RCBS case lube. Here it is, 46 years later and I still use that press, it is indestructable and as familiar to me as my own hands. I have half a dozen other presses, but I keep coming back to this one.

Gerry N.

Bullshop Junior
11-12-2009, 01:56 AM
I have a Half dpzen of the old herters presses, then i have a old lyman orange crusher, and a 35+ year old rock chucker, then some newer ones that are newer then 10 years

Airborne80
11-22-2009, 01:05 AM
Well...... I will soon be joining those of you who use older presses. Today I picked up a LYMAN All American Press Turret with four stations and a Star machine Works press. I have no idea of how they operate or what i will need to get them running but I understand that they are both from the 1960s. they look great and have a smooth action so I am optimistic. :)

kopperll
11-25-2009, 03:35 AM
I use my Lyman AllAmerican quite often. It is set up for 45acp. Use a sparT for most other calibers. Had a Star set for .38 years ago. Found it difficuly to keep in tune(was used when I got it)
Regards,
Bill

1Shirt
12-10-2009, 01:13 AM
My oldest is a CH C that is over 40 years old. If I had room on my bench would probably have a couple of old Herters. Had an early Hollywood that I traded off a number of years ago. Also have an old Latchmiller, no idea of how old, and haven't used it for quite awhile. My primary presses now are one of the early Lyman Turrets, and one of the current Lyman Turrets as of about 5 years ago. All work well.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Harry
12-15-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm using my dad's Lyman "EzyLoader" from the '50s. I just loaded some 40 S&W's today. Had to buy the J to X adapters for the new shell holders. Still works great.

Tommy Kelly
12-19-2009, 06:31 AM
My press is a rock chucker that was bought used in 1968 and its still going strong. Its a little slower than the new modern progressive ones but still turn's out some very impressive loads. I bought a newer one but gave it to my son and still use the old one myself. It will outlast me easily and probably be passed on to my grandson who is 2 years old now and last his lifetime also. With a little care I don't believe anyone could wear one out. I like it because it's big enough to easily load from 30-378 weatherby to 9 mm ammo with no problem of running out of space to easily load. I'm not reloading for mass production I reload for accuracy in every detail possible. And this rockchucker never lets me down. I see no need to change to anything else.

StainlessButcher
12-27-2009, 03:36 PM
I've got one of the old wrinkle brown finished Herters O presses, a Lyman Spar-T with 6 stations, an original Lee three hole turret, and some sort of Novak press that may be for swageing, I'm not sure about that one.

340six
01-01-2010, 09:33 PM
I use a RCNS RC and prime all loads with my trusty hand primer

johnlaw484
01-02-2010, 07:30 PM
I still have my Old Lyman Spartan press, works like a champ.

Also have a Lee Load Master, though not overly impressed with it. When it was working right it was great, but that lasted about 500 rounds. Since then it has been a constant battle.

I would like to find a good used progressive, however that would be like a pig in a poke.

skeet
02-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Have an RCBS A an A2 and a 2A...couple of 2 hole Dunbars A Hollywood Senior Turret A Pacific Supermag an old Bair Kodiak and a 2 Ram Herters M-81. except for the 81 I can swage bullets with any of em.
I have 3 sets of the old RCBS swaging dies from the 40's. Still make good bullets too. One of the Dunbars has been set up for 22 Hornet since about 1966. I have other old presses I no longer use..like the True line Jr and an EZ Loader with their weird dies. Ought to just sell 'em...but ya never know when ya might need 'em.. As old as they are they still out perform any of the newer single stage presses. Kinda hard to beat some of the new progressives though. Have a Dillon 1050 that I got at an auction..it's the cats meow for my 45 autos. Love those guns. Newbie here..cast boolits member so hadda check this site out.

ecorrigan
02-23-2010, 05:57 AM
I'm new here but thought I'd chime in too. I have an old Herters Super 9A that I use for reloading for rifle cartridges. Actually just my .308 for the time being. I still reload with my Dad occasionally on his Rock Chucker that he's had since who-knows-when. I can't remember a time when he hasn't had it. Gotta be dang near older than me.
I just acquired a used progressive press for my pistol reloading, but it's not old enough to qualify in this discussion!!

Harter66
03-29-2010, 08:40 PM
I've my grandfathers Pacific 12ga press a puke greenRockchucker and an RCII my little RCBS Partner is only about 15 years old ,oh, and a pair of MEC600s which aren't that old but have run a couple 1000 rounds for me

DGG1
05-26-2010, 09:14 PM
I use a Texan progressive full resizing 12 ga reloader that is a working fool. It is at least 30 years old and has reloaded a ton of 1 1/8th skeet and trap shells using red dot, Win AA shells and wads.

challenger_i
05-26-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm using a Herter's #3 that I inherited from my Dad. He bought it, used, in 1960, a year before I was born.

BTW: if any one has a #23 Herter's shellholder (45 Colt), that's excess to their needs... :-D

Explorer1
05-31-2010, 02:46 AM
My Rockchucker is 25 years old and my Mec is closer to 35. Both still work well.

Kevin Rohrer
05-31-2010, 04:29 AM
I have a Herter's Super 3 "C" press that is not yet setup on my new bench, because the bench isn't quite finished yet.

I also just got a Hollywood Senior that was made between 1954-61. I used it yesterday to seat some 22/250 bullets and the press operates like rubbing two pieces of glass together. Smoooooth.

My only new press is a CH/4D "444" 4-station. I like it so much I am trying to get one of their early "111" single die presses.

New is not necessarily better.

bart55
06-13-2010, 04:15 AM
Still use my old Bair C press that i bought in 1964 , and besides that i use A couple of Herters , pacific and CH presses right along side the Dillons, and the mecGrabber ,still have my old Mec 310 that i use for loading 16 gauge shells for . bought that in 1962. They still work great . Just read the post before and I will look and see If i have one of the 45 colt shellholders for the Herters .

miestro_jerry
06-20-2010, 05:16 AM
I have a Rockerchucker that came with a metal primer tray many moons ago.

Some where around I have a couple of Pacific C presses. I have some orginal Dillon 550B presses, I think the came out in the mid 1980s.

paul edward
08-06-2010, 05:29 AM
My new press is an RCBS that dates to 1977. My old press is a Herters #3 that I got in 1963. It is occasionally useful to have two presses.

Paul

John 242
08-30-2010, 01:20 AM
Does a RCBS Reloader Special 2 count?
I don't have a clue how old it is. My wife bought it as a gift for me a while back. It was 'new' in the box and came with a set of steel (not carbide) .45 ACP dies.

Toney
08-30-2010, 01:32 AM
I'm using an old RCBS JR2 that i picked up from a show in Tulsa for 25$. Bought another one from my gun guy for 35$ took the primmer stuff off of it and then sold it to one of my buds. Kind'a wished i'd still had it to.

Ouisconsin
09-09-2010, 02:03 AM
I bought a Dunbar 2 station press about a 6 weeks ago. I was told it was originally bought in 1952. I've used it and it's still doing the job it was designed to do. It's my first press so I have nothing to compare it to, just that it does get the job done. So far the 223 I've loaded shoot much better than any factory ammo. :)

retired PO
09-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Ive just started Reloading a few months ago, but have had my dads Lyman Turret press for 15 yrs in a bin.... it came from him with 6 dies in it. 3 30-06 and 3 220 swift..... I have some ammo marked that he reloaded in the late 60's with it.... with the help of this web site, I ve been given good advice, and confidence, and started reloading 38 sp. and 357 mag and 45 acp's... all with great results. Thank you guys for being there. Lovin every minute of it, and feeling very connected to my dad.