PDA

View Full Version : Reloading improvement inventions

Bigbore44
12-10-2005, 11:05 PM
I like to swage boolits, mostly 44 and 45 caliber. The rubegoldberg apparatice on the presses is a bullet ejector when the press's handle is returned to up position...it is an automatic linkage feature that works remarkably well.

Then a couple of primer catchers that also work very well.

Jim

Toney
12-11-2005, 12:12 AM
Hey Jim what die are you using to swage your bullets?

Bullshop Junior
12-11-2005, 01:10 AM
Bigbore44,
WELCOME TO THE SITE!!!!!
I have done a little bit of swaging with a old herters swadging out fit. mostly usings a homemade lead boolit and reforming the nose, of taking something that fits in the jacket and swaging it to fit the jacket and the die. if you want pictures just ask.
DANIEL/BS JR.

Bigbore44
12-11-2005, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

That one press showing the apparatus is a Herter's model O Super Maximum press, probably about the strongest model they ever made. Has a 1-1/4 inch diameter ram with two hole adjustable toggle linkage system that can allow a 2 inch stroke.

The dies I use are C&H brand, but order them in the diameter of bullet I want to reshape...otherwise they'll send you dies for making half jacketed bullets and that's all they are used for. I don't make any half jacketed bullets, only swage the bullets in the diameter I expect to shoot.

Here's another picture showing my Lyman All American press with a brass strap affair primer catcher.

Jim

454shooter
12-11-2005, 07:09 AM
Bigbore44,
Welcome to the board !
Rube Goldberg contraptions ? Just what ever make it work for you.
You ought to see my contraption for an automatic bullet feeder for my Lee
Progressive 1000 ! THAT is a "Rube Goldberg" special !
I made this a few years before Lee Precision came out with it.
Works somewhat. But I knew it can work.Was tricky to hold the bullets.
Well, my description is elsewhere in this board.
Linkage was OK.
Still in a "ZipLock" bag in the reloading rollaway.Haven't used it in a long time.
Contacted Lee Precision,they took my idea, and ran with it.
Watch out for those "wild hairs". They just might make you a millionaire !
Next time I do invent something,will mail the idea to myself. Then,if any question about it, just produce the still sealed envelope.Should be entitled to royalties.
Enjoy the board.
Richard

Bigbore44
12-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Make money on my inventions...Ha!

No, they are just for my own use or to help others if they like the idea.

Back around 1988 I invented a new auto pistol caliber concept, spent about 3grand perfecting it and a US patent. The .44 APC caliber is used in a standard Colt or clone .45 acp pistol. Just a barrel change and guide spring set up is all that is required to adapt it to the gun.

All that ever came of it was for one guy to copy it's principals in another caliber, and have a few of the industry firearms manufactuers try to steal it for nothing. So, I took my lumps and still have the reloading dies and proto-type .44 APC barrel. (The APC stands for auto pistol cartridge)

This semi-auto pistol caliber could obtain magnum velocities of up to 1,500 fps with a 175 grain bullet.

The bullet range was from 145 to 220 grain that I experimented with. Use to shoot liter bottles of water at 100 yards with it.

But that was back during an era of magnum ietus, too many people jumping on the band wagon with new hot magnum calibers.

Jim

454shooter
12-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Hi Bigbore44,
At least, you have the pics to prove it ! Anyone that gives you a bad time,we'll back you up !
Looks like a good set up. Nice pics. Haven't tried swaging..yet.
Got to get some more dishes washed. "Yes, Dear,yes,dear".
G/F's birthday today. Might have some "Honeydo's" today.
Might have to run a CAT5 cable, or who knows what.
See you all later.