PDA

View Full Version : Oversize Replacement 12ga. Wad

retiredshooter
07-20-2009, 01:42 AM
I loaded Lyman 12 ga. 525 gr. slugs a few years back in Winn AA Hulls and they were quite accurate.

I recently cast more of the slugs, but was out of the Winchester wads # WAA12R. Ihave now found that Winchester has discontinued this wad, but Claybusters makes a replacement # CB1138-12. Caution: This replacement wad has thicker petals at the base of the pocket than the original Winchester #WAA12R, which causes an increase in the O.D. of the wad when the slug is inserted. This increase is about 0.011+". I have checked the groove diameter of my Hastings Rifled Barrel and am now afraid to use the replacement wad. I have contacted Claybusters, they are supposed to get back with me early this coming week. Claybusters also makes a replacement for the Winn. WAA12F114 Wad (also discontinued by Winchester). Have asked them to check the petal thickness as compared to the original Winnchester.

Has anyone else been involved with these wads or possibly aware of the situation?

runfiverun
07-20-2009, 11:34 PM
usually win wads were at the higher point with their pressures.
i would take a mic to the store with me and look at hornady as a direct replacement or even the rem/fed wads the fig-8 [rem] is designed for the aa type hulls too and the feds are for straight walled cases and may not be as thick at the bottom.
they are more money than the windjammer but if they fit properly i bet they aren't enough to worry about for slug loads.

retiredshooter
07-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Claybusters had altered the replacement wad by adding to the I.D. of the petal at the bottom for added strength to prevent damage during shipment. It did not affect the loading of shot, but restricted the space for slug loading. They had an old bag (prior to the revision) that they were good enough to send me. I'm in good shape now. Have you priced 12 ga. sabot slug loads lately? The price is out of this world. Lightfields are over $13 for a box of five. My cost of about a dime apiece is sure looking good. I already had the lead.